Jsvob03

took me a while, but i found this place!

Heres the deal, i have a 1991 Lumina Euro 4dr. its got the variable fuel motor. The brakes DONT WORK. I have replaced the following

-Brake Power Booster

-Master Cylinder

-Front & Back brake lines (not the actual hard lines, just the caliper ones)

-ALL Calipers

-ALL Pads

-rear rotors

-Manifold to Booster Vaccuum line

-and i have bled and bled, and bled!!

The brakes are super spongy, as if not being bled however, for the first one or two pumps after closing off the last bleeder, it feels solid, then just goes dead. any suggestions? yes i searched, i even read teh write-up very nice btw.

:fruity: <-- wtf?!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Does your car have ABS?

2. Did you bench bleed the new master cylinder properly before installing it?

If you have ABS, then you may have to bleed out the ABS pump (I've never actually had to do this to any of my ABS-equipped cars, so I couldn't tell ya exactly how to bleed it.) I know that if you introduce a ton of air into the brake system, then you have to bleed the ABS pump. A Hayne's manual gives the proper procedure for bleeding the pump...

Also if you don't properly bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it, there's a chance you could wear it out very quickly.

On a side note, I found a neat little trick to bleed stubborn brake systems in an article in Car Craft a few years back. They took a small chunk of plate steel (it was probably 1/4" thick) then drilled, tapped, and installed a quick-disconnect (air hose) fitting to it. They took off the cover to the master cylinder and clamped this piece of steel in its place. One at a time they opened up the bleeders, and connected the air hose to the fitting. When they let air pressure through, it forced all the old fluid and air pockets out. They, of course, stopped to fill the master cylinder frequently so as not to put more air in the system.