3.1MPFI problems.....please help!!!!

mfewtrail

Ok, its not actually the motor itself so I'm not sure if this will get moved or not but......anyway, I went to crank up my car(93 grand prix-3.1) a while ago and let it warm up a for about 10 mins and I get in the car and the heater isn't working at all and its blowing cold as shit......I figure it's just taking a while to heat up and I'll go on my way to my sisters house(approximately 10 miles away)...then I drive to her house and my temp gauge goes up pretty freaking high and scares the shit out of me....so I keep driving the last 1/2 mile to her house and get out with the car running and the motor feels cold to the touch and then I turn it off and bam....coolant spews from under the throttle body area(possibly the throttle body heater hose...coudlnt tell even with the shitty flashlight that I had......anyways my temp gauge was going fucking crazy going high and dropping low......so I was wondering if this is normal in any way? or what else could be leaking coolant under the throttle body area. SORRY for the long post, I'm just recalling what happened very vividly right now since it was only a half hour ago. THANKS FOR ANY HELP/INFO, etc.!!!!!

That is so weird. I do not have a coolant leak, but my car has just started doing that. I am in the middle of Long Island, and I drove to Pennsylvania to a junk yard, and it worked fine, but on my way back for the ENTIRE drive, the car never blew anything but cold air. I am going to try replacing the temperature door motor tomorrow to see what that does.

Taylor

ok, fixed the freaking leak.......arggh!!!! those metal clamps that have to be pressed together are a fucking pain in the ass, they were the reason I spent a decent amount of time doing this "simple" repair....I just bypassed the throttle body heater hose shit with that L shaped hose from GM(cost me right at $12 for three inches of rubber...boy do they rip people off). Now I crunk up the car and let it warm up for a pretty good while and the freaking temp hand is going up high as shit and dropping off and the heater is blowing COLD air like the freaking AC is on or something......if my car was really like 250 deg...the plenum would be hot as shit wouldn't it? I remember touching it before after it was at normal temps and it was hot....but not now.....so I'm guessing THERMOSTAT is f'd up.....so fixing to replace it in a little while after I get some sleep. Also I noticed a small amount of smoke that was coming from up under the heat shield that covers the exhaust manifold/piping that is directly under the throttle body......is there anything under it that could LEAK or is it an exhaust leak or something?........again sorry for another long post and please tell me your thoughts about the above problems.....thanks for reading this!!!!

I think Luminator94 is right, when the thermostat 'goes out' it doesn't open completely or just doesn't open at all... explains the backpressure and the rising temp gauge since the coolant is not cycling through the entire system... it's a ten dollar part and apart an hour tops in labor in the driveway... why not?

- RedFox340

Sounds like what my old Z24 used to do. The thermostat was bad. But I screwed around too long with it bad and ended up having to change the water pump too. Just do the stat, piece of cake!

Replaced thermostat with STOCK stat(190 or 195deg or whatever) and now my car is running great and at normal temperatures and I have HEAT..YAY!!!!!!!! :D ...lol....thanks to everyone for the input!!!!!!.....my next task is to replace ALL gaskets....I have a complete gasket set here and figured I'd change some of em as a preventative measure as I have so many miles on my car.....the only one leaking a slight bit is the front valve cover gasket.....I don't drive the car too much anymore so I figure it can wait plus I'm lazy/tired from working