supreme_style21

I'll be suprised if anyone even looks at this as brake problems run rampant here.

How much are the calipers supposed to move during braking? And what is the torque specs for the caliper bolts. I know they were not torqued last time they were off. The other issue is this.. When I back up and hit the brakes, the caliper (assumed) clunks back loudly. Once going forward, the first braking results in one more loud clunk, assumed from the caliper cracking forward. Its loud and abnormal. I'm tearing into it tomorrow.. just wondering what to look for, if anything isn't blatently obvious.

On a side note, probably related, the rotors are starting to warp since this has started.

The calipers are only supposed to "slide" sideways, not forward or back (but I'm sure you already knew that :lol: .) It sounds to me like you are on the right path. You are talking about the front brakes, right? The front caliper mounting bolts (sliders) are supposed to be torqued to 80 LB/FT. Front caliper bracket bolts: 148 LB/FT. Make sure you coat the threads of all mounting bolts with anti-sieze. You'll never have to worry about them working loose or rusting in place...

Front(s) yes.. not sure which side. I don't recall there being any possible way for them to move forward/backward.. same for the pads themselves. I'll just have to pull it apart tomorrow and torque everything up if nothing else appears to be abnormal.

If the calipers are making a moaning noise or clunking noise then the pistons are stuck, you can either rebuild or replace them. If you choose to ignore the problem expect to chew through pads in about 5-10k miles. I had the same problem, I replaced both front calipers for $30 a piece from NAPA though so you may want to look into that.

Theres only one thing that makes them do what your describing, some one left the slider spacers of of the bolts when they put it back together. I'd almost bet you can grab a hold of the offending caliper and wiggle it.

Tore it all apart... nothing unusual, everything moves as it should. The sound I heard was not the caliper itself, but the rotor/hub moving. I can only assume Tires Plus didn't torque the wheels. I torqued 'em back up and all is well :?

No.. like I said, everything was as it should be. The noise is coming from the rotor.. you know it has a little bit of play when the wheel is off.. thats what it is doing with the wheel in place.

Did the lug holes of the rotor get enlarged for some reason? Maybe from the lugnuts being loose??? Is the surface of the hub behind the rotor clean? Maybe the noise is coming from the suspension. Ball joint maybe. Now that I think about it, I remember when the struts were going bad on one of my old beaters, there was a clunking noise whenever I hit the brakes (forward or reverse) so it could be the struts.

Just my $.02

The sound I heard was not the caliper itself, but the rotor/hub moving. I can only assume Tires Plus didn't torque the wheels.

If the rotor and hub are moving abnormally I'd say your front wheel bearing is out. This would also cause accelerated pad wear, as your rotor is all crooked in there and rubbing the pads all the time, and noise too maybe.

The sound I heard was not the caliper itself, but the rotor/hub moving. I can only assume Tires Plus didn't torque the wheels.

If the rotor and hub are moving abnormally I'd say your front wheel bearing is out. This would also cause accelerated pad wear, as your rotor is all crooked in there and rubbing the pads all the time, and noise too maybe.

:x damn.

One way to find out for sure is to jack up the wheel and see if you can move the wheel up and down and side to side, like a bad ball joint or tie rod end. If you can't tell you can remove the rotor and grab the bearing itself, then you'll know for sure. They're pretty easy to replace, just 3 bolts and the main axle nut.

Yeah.. I'm not worried about replacing it.. its just that I can really do w/o the expense portion of it right now. I do notice a subtle grinding/rubbing/humming at LOW speeds.. less than parking lot speeds. I'll have to look into it a little bit further.

But I don't recall any excess play in the wheel when it was mounted.. then again, I wasn't really looking for it either.

Anyone know offhand what star socket I need for that caliper bracket? I'll pull it all apart and check the hub itself.