Turbocharged 2.8 vs 3.1

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

would one be better than the other, in terms of rod/stroke ratio? could the 2.8 rev higher or faster than the 3.1? what about piston speed and durablility? i'm wondering about TGP turbo specific parts on a 2.8 instead...or at least an alternative. if the 2.8 has less low end torque would it be better with a 5-speed for traction?

to be honest i have been wondering about this because of my other project. i had a temporary 2.5L Turbo engine in my GTS from a Dodge Shadow, but now i'm going back to the original 2.2L Turbo engine, which is much much better than the 2.5 in numerous ways despite less low end torque. the 2.5L is a stroked version of the 2.2L engine.

any input appreciated,

thanks

i wonder if the TGP T-25 turbo is more efficient on a 2.8?

Just get that damn Vin V 3.1 you have in your Cutty and you won't think of a 2.8 again. :wink: You can always upgrade the valvetrain on the 3.1 to rev higher if that's what you want it to do. :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

Just get that damn Vin V 3.1 you have in your Cutty and you won't think of a 2.8 again. :wink:

ya got me there :lol: i was looking at that big hole in the piston on my 'V' motor on the engine stand in my garage today :( i would have started on this project by now but am right in the middle of the GTS engine swap stuff right now. when my GTS is back on the road next month i WILL be pulling the 'T' engine out asap, throwing all of my TGP parts right on it, replacing clutch and swapping on my other Getrag, and 'testing' the 'T' while i rebuild the 'V' :)

Just get that damn Vin V 3.1 you have in your Cutty and you won't think of a 2.8 again. :wink:

ya got me there :lol: i was looking at that big hole in the piston on my 'V' motor on the engine stand in my garage today :( i would have started on this project by now but am right in the middle of the GTS engine swap stuff right now. when my GTS is back on the road next month i WILL be pulling the 'T' engine out asap, throwing all of my TGP parts right on it, replacing clutch and swapping on my other Getrag, and 'testing' the 'T' while i rebuild the 'V' :)

Just out of curiosity, which crankshaft are you going to use?

EDIT: I'll assume stock and that you aren't touching the bottom end on the T' engine..just throwing the turbo and whatnot on and giving it hell? 8)

Guest TurboSedan

well i hope i can use the original TGP V crankshaft! the donor TSTE found it's way into the salvage yard with a missing turbo but i think the piston spit a chunk of aluminum right through it because i didn't find any chunks in the cylinder :shock: even the piston rings have a chunk out of them. so hopefully the crank is still good. i found a blown head gasket and it looks like coolant got into the cylinder that blew. i haven't pulled the oil pan yet but i did pull everything else and it was pretty clean inside. cam looked great too but i'm replacing it with a new GM stock cam.

Guest TurboSedan
I'll assume stock and that you aren't touching the bottom end on the T' engine..just throwing the turbo and whatnot on and giving it hell? 8)

exactly :) i don't really care what happens to it. it has 221,000 miles and has never even been opened up. it runs really good and the oil stays clean, it has good oil pressure too. i'm planning on starting with full manifold pressure to the wastegate until the new clutch is broken in, and then grainger valve it up to 10psi or so...if i even make it that high which i doubt :) it will have a custom TGP 5-speed memcal, which Jay is doing now.

If I remember right, because of the smaller stroke there is better TDC dwell time which means a little greater resistance for pre-ignition. There will also be less rod angularity and the piston is not traveling as fast/far compared to a 3.1 crank. The rod journals are closer to the centerline so if prepared right, the 2.8 crank theoretically would be stronger. The T25 on the 2.8 would probably be like the next step up from a T25 on a 3.1. The power output in the end would probably be roughly the same, but built right the 2.8 might be able to take more abuse and higher rpm's.

There has been talk about putting a 2.8 crank in a 3.4 block (just under 3.1L) for a high revver, but nobody has done it yet that I know of.

Guest TurboSedan

exactly what i was looking for, thanks Brian. anyone else? i was hoping maybe TurboGTU would post about it. he's the only one that i can think of that had a 2.8 Turbo.

exactly what i was looking for, thanks Brian. anyone else? i was hoping maybe TurboGTU would post about it. he's the only one that i can think of that had a 2.8 Turbo.

I believe a guy that used to be on the 60* board has a turbocharged 2.8 in a Camaro, might be a few more on the J-body boards and whatnot as well.

Wow yeah the whole concept of a turbo 2.8 always got me wondering if it would be better than a 3.1, but I never cared to discuss it cause I thought I'd get flamed :oops:

2.8 crank in a 3.4 -> I'd like to see that! :)