Transmission and ECM communication

WhiteOut

Alright, so I'm trying to do as much research as possible before possibly attempting to swap a Getrag 5 speed (whether to use a 282,284, or 287 to be determined) into a 94' GTP. I've heard about a lot of issues with swapping the manual transmission into an automatic car. So, since a manual wasn't available in 94' what issues am I going to potentially see with the manual transmission not "talking" with the ECM? What information I have uncovered seems to suggest minor driveability issues, but I'm worried that the car will have more than minor issues since the ECM will never know what gear the car is in. Can some sort of resistor pack be used here in place of the automatic transmissions electronics, or does some sort of feedback loop need to be improvised in order to make it run correctly? I'm pretty clueless on how the tranny and ECM communicate so any help you guys can offer would be great!