Some questions about cross over pipes?

tgpguy21

ok......I have a few questions about a problem im having about my car. so ive noticed im only getting about 16-17 miles to the gallon. so we checked acouple of things out and ended up replacing a tempetured charged sensor and a map sensor to see if it would help and it didnt. whats happening is were coming up with a code 44 which is the rich gas mixture code that i understand. well after the car warms up and i go from driving to a complete stop the cars r's drop down like its gonna die but it always corrects it self for a little then does it again. is it possible that this could be a cracked cross over pipe? wouldn't you be able to hear if that thing was cracked? also when i put on my blinker the r's drop every time the blinker lights up. so we think it might be like an electrical surge prob. any help would be much appreciated. :think:

Guest Anonymous

It very well could be electrical. get your alternator tested and your battery tested.

My cars RPM's go up and down at a stop also. That sounds like the x-over.

Guest Anonymous

I haven't fixed mine yet but I know mine is cracked.

How old is your oxygen sensor? Pull it and see how black it is with carbon. I put a new one in and my car idled pretty good for a week. Then the 02 sesor was crap again from the x-over being cracked. Now it does idles erradically again.

my o2 sensor is like bran spankin new. would the x pipe make any noise if it was cracked or anything???? i swear weve checked all the sensors on this thing and nothing has worked yet.

Thats crazy about your turn signal...my Cutlass did the same thing. I thought I was losing it because when ever the turn signal blinked the RPMs would drop. There's no way the turn signal sucked that much power. I never figured it out though, because I took the engine out so I could rebuild it.

Although, the alternator that was on that car is now in my TurboSTE, which doesn't have the turn signal problem...There must be a wiring issue, like a loose/bad ground wire. I cleaned / repaired all of the ground connections in the TurboSTE before I put the engine back in. You may want to check those. There is about 7-8 areas for ground wire connections under the hood. Start checking...look for loose or frayed wires, look for wires that are coated in grease, or that have a greenish coating on them. That is corrosion...it's like rust for wires. You might also want to remove the 3-4 ground wires that connect to painted areas of the underhood area and scrape the paint away. I painted the entire underhood of the Cutlass before the Turbo engine, and afterwards it had that turn signal problem. It never had the problem before, and I never scraped the new paint away from the grounds.

Jason

my o2 sensor is like bran spankin new. would the x pipe make any noise if it was cracked or anything???? i swear weve checked all the sensors on this thing and nothing has worked yet.

Its possible to be cracked and not make any noise. THe shielding and insulation muffle any noise it might make. Some will make noise. If you have a factory pipe, then its bad. Haven't seen one yet that isn't.

Chris

would you guys be interested in a custom crossover? i would be able to build one if i get a stock one to make a copy of.. it would have a O2 bung and stainess Braided flex. then i can jet coat the pipe and lower the temps.

anyone have a stock crossover they are willing to part with for a short period of time?

RedZ

Easy RedMonteZ...if you talk about anything that Jeff M makes money from you will get hate emails and threats from a few people!! I did and I was only talking about programming the TGP chip for my own use!! If I come across one here in the Springs I will be sure to send it your way... :lol: :lol:

What to you mean by stainless flex?

I don't know why they didn't put the o2 bung in the pipe to being with, or the egr pipe fitting in the rear manifold, like the normal 3.1 has. Then we could have used the NA 3.1 egr pipe.

Chris

Guest TurboSedan
would you guys be interested in a custom crossover? i would be able to build one if i get a stock one to make a copy of.. it would have a O2 bung and stainess Braided flex. then i can jet coat the pipe and lower the temps.

anyone have a stock crossover they are willing to part with for a short period of time?

RedZ

i can't afford a custom crossover right now RedZ, but i would gladly borrow you mine if it helps. i should be in Loveland sometime soon.

joshua

EDIT: i just reread my message - i mean help you develop one (which i would like to buy later), not help myself get some deal...

joshua

I don't know why they didn't put the o2 bung in the pipe to being with, or the egr pipe fitting in the rear manifold, like the normal 3.1 has. Then we could have used the NA 3.1 egr pipe.

Chris

Nah, they'd rather make a special EGR pipe that is impossible to find at any local yards and charge you $150 for it.

But I may have found a good substitute...go to the Home Depot and get the stainless flex hose they sell for gas lines for dryers/stoves. I found one the of same diameter and with the correct fitting on the end. Just take it to your local welder and have him weld it to the EGR plate. I'm not sure if it will hold up to the heat, but it seems like it could. I'll try it soon and let everyone know.

Jason