Engine miss? Coil pack or ??

amcjrb

Hey folks: I am new to the list but not to W bodies. Current fleet includes 1992 GP 4 dr, 1989 GP 5 speed and 2 88 Regals for parts. Anyway, the 89 GP is skipping. I have identified it as the #4 cylinder. I tried swapping out the plug and wire (but with used stuff) to no avail. I plan to install new plugs/wires today. My question, if the coil pack were bad, wouldnt the engine miss on 2 cylinders, not just one? Can the module cause just one plug not to fire? (based on the coil pack firing two cylinders at once). I am worried the new plus and wires will not fix the problem. For sure there is spark to the other cylinder on that coil pack. Any help I can get here would be appreciated.

Jim B.

I have seen where the tower cracked on the coil and sent spark across to the other tower. This may be whats happening to your car, ususally if the whole coil goes, the car idles ROUGH, it will idle really choppy and almost sound like a v-8 with a big cam, until you hit the gas that is. as for the module if that goes, most of the time the car will not start. Most of the time. If you still have a problem after new pulgs and wires, I would suspect the coil. Beware! Coils normally don't fail for no reason. There is a cause to coil failure, ususally bad plugs and/or wires. Sometimes its a bad ground, everyonce in a while the coil will just fail. But not often. After a coil failure replace everything. Module, ALL coils and plugs/wires. I learned the hard way with my 89 Z-24, coil failed, replaced it, different coil failed replaced it, then module failed. GRRRRR. then I replaced everything! :D Then the motor blew :evil: Sometimes you can't win.

Follow up report: Changed plus/wires. No change. Swapped out ignition module and all three coil backs from a donor car (used). Runs fine. I guess I will never know if it was the coil or module, but betting on the module. Now on to other problems

Thanks

Jim B