5 speed owners step inside

skalor

OK, I've been driving my 5 speed TGP on and off for a couple of weeks now. I'm getting a jerking when in decel in any gear. I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else. I know that my engine mounts are both good as I've changed the front one when I did the swap, and the tranny mount looked good. I also have poly bushings in my dogbones so it's not that either. I'm thinking that the IAC follower values in the computer need to be tweaked, but I wanted to get some other 5 speed TGP owner's input. So, does anyone else get a jerky decel or am I all alone. :?

The stock DOHC 5 speeds did that until GM released a better chip. Ive tweaked mine so it never even does it that I can remember. Only faintly when cold but I got rid of almost all of that as well. Its definetly computer related though.

Are we talking gear decel (I assume since we are talking about engine jerking) or neutral decel? I have not noticed any gear or N decel problems. I wish I could go drive it and let you know. :lol: You really need to get rid of that chip man. I don't care IF it works. It doesn't work RIGHT!

Are we talking gear decel (I assume since we are talking about engine jerking) or neutral decel? I have not noticed any gear or N decel problems. I wish I could go drive it and let you know. :lol: You really need to get rid of that chip man. I don't care IF it works. It doesn't work RIGHT!

In gear, could also be called engine braking. I don't think the pushrods get it nearly as bad as the DOHC does, mine with an auto chip was breaking the tires loose on wet pavement with the bucking. Its mainly just a drivability issue, it isn't smooth on/off the gas like a 5spd should be but sudden jerks that feel like the engine is being ripped out from under the hood.

So anyone care to edit mine? :wink:

Get me a copy of a TGP chip you want and I can take a look.

I think god910 and I have the same chip.. am I right Jay? Brian, if we could get you a file of the chip we currently have, would you be able to look it over?

I think god910 and I have the same chip.. am I right Jay? Brian, if we could get you a file of the chip we currently have, would you be able to look it over?

I thought so too, but tis not true... Lemme find it....

The chip I sent him is the EXACT copy from Kenny.

Now please realize that I sent the .bin (or full chip don't remember) to the guy you bought your TGP from was one of the first versions of the chip. The chip in Luke's car is what I guess we could call the "final" version after quite a few tweaks were done after driving with it at high altitude (6009' and above sea-level). As I told EVERYONE who got either a chip or the .bin it was an experimental version to accomidate the 5-Speed swap... 8)

So, ya. I am VERY happy w/ my chip though. I will have to do my own tuning to it, but it's great as it is. Either way, I can send you a .bin of what I have Brian.

Sure. me@brian89gp.com

I don't have as much experience of working with the 5spd as Ben does, but I do know what it takes to get an auto chip working on a manual at least halfway decently (for the DOHC it was around 100-150 changes to the IAC, decel, and DFCO stuff)

The DOHC was easier because both tranny's were in the same code mask, for the TGP I'll probably have to use the $A1 mask as a comparison.

Yeah, I asked about this on the 60degree board a while ago, but I wanted to see if the other 5 speed TGP guys were experiencing the same problem. I've compared the $A1 code mask to the TGP stuff and the I've looked through some stuff in relationship to IAC and I was wondering exactly what needed to be changed.

AIR FLOW CALC- Airflow vs. IAC postion

AIR FLOW CALC- Airflow vs IAC min position

These are the two I was thinking are what needed to be changed, but I don't have my logging device working yet so I didn't want to make any changes that could drastically affect my car. :roll: I was also looking at the settings under the IAC Keep Alive and DFCO sections. All this was done in GMPCM if your wondering. :D

Awesome..

Anyway I can get the little shift light to work on the cluster? It works now, but it only comes on when the ECM tells the TC to lock up. :?

Where are you at in KC Brian? If you do any changes, I could just drive out there to test them out.

I have the same problem at times too.

Hey Luke...when you say at times what do you mean? Hot days...cold days...wet or dry?

When I first did the swap in that car it would buck like mad! Within many issues....one issue was the idle follower and the VSS seeing a speed slower than the actual speed of the car. When the car was traveling 35 it would think it was 25 and have the IAC counts too low for the actual speed. Now if I remember correctly I changed the IAC idle counts to a higher count because the auto tranny is around 550 or 650RPM. Putting it up to 750-800RPM killed most of the bucking issue. Now I did find after the change that I had two plug wires that were bad causing the motor to not run smoothly thus the bucking continued but nowheres near as bad. Replaced the wires and no matter the speed, gear, or load on the engine it was glass smooth.

Now whether that was the correct way to fix the bucking issue then...doubt it. There are so many variables between the auto TGP and the manual tranny swap that the slightest change will make it inoperable or so nasty you wish it was inoperable.

Now again it has been more than a year now since I messed with the code and many things escape my memory as to what I did...but my suggestion would be for Luke to send his .bin or chip to someone to download the .bin and compare it to the TGP AZRC code and the '89 5-speed GP code (sorry don't recall the file name) on Mick's GMPCM site. BrianGP sounds more able to get this corrected for Skalor and maybe address the VSS issue not allowing proper speed displayed... 8)

It's not a VSS issue as I changed the road speed sensor constant to take into account the different FDR ratio(from 3.33 to 3.67). Although it's not exact quite yet, it is close enough for now. :roll: I also set the idle up higher as well to around 750 rpms when it's at operating temperature. I'll have to look at the differences a little more to see what I might want to tweak next. :twisted:

Hopefully, enough of us working together can get a good AZRC based 5 speed code for those that want a 5 speed, but can't tune it on thier own. :D

Guest TurboSedan
and the VSS seeing a speed slower than the actual speed of the car.

i'm surprised the VSS isn't seeing a speed faster than the actual speed. ever since my '88 Getrag 282 swap, my speedo reads WAY too fast - the speedo indicates about 11% faster than actual. Luke's car has an '88 282 doesn't it?

How do we go about ID'ing out trannies, because the asshat that did my swap didn't seem like he knew where it came from. As far as the shift light... Could we set the TCC to lockup at any RPM? If so, change that to your deisred shift point, and connect it to the light. Then when the TCC was supposed to lockup, it would turn on the shift light. Any ideas? (It's been a LONG while since I have been in this chip.)

Thing is with the shift light, most all ECM's that I know of do an if/then question on a 5spd option somewhere in the code. If its not selected it does the TCC routine, if it is selected the shift light code is run. Sounds like at least you Luke still have quite a bit auto stuff in there.

Luke: right now I am on the south side right on the state line, probably gonna be moving to the west side in the next 2 months. I got to take a look at it all first cause right now I have no idea.

Luke: right now I am on the south side right on the state line, probably gonna be moving to the west side in the next 2 months. I got to take a look at it all first cause right now I have no idea.

Sounds good.. I'll be up for a road trip whenever you get it figured out.