really want a new car/truck...im tired

godofthunder

Ok

im really getting tired of my car. If its not one thing, its another. This leaking, that leaking, this breaking.

I just got an oilchange, and sure enough...its all over my driveway now. I got a bent filter from NAPA, and my engine bay and underbody is covered in oil.

wanna know the weird thing? Its still full...so it didnt leak that much.

But...this car is so cheaply built, it feels like a ford.

That, and im pretty sure the next car WONT be a w-body, unless someone is giving them away. Ive loved these cars from 1991...but just to many problems that are shoved off (brakes come to mind).

sorry, just had to vent. I love yall guys, but slowly starting to REALLY hate this car. I mean hell...even when everytrhing is workign right....you still worry about the next stupid thing to break.

lastly - did get the parking brake shudder thing fixed.

jon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 93CutlassSupreme

• godofthunder

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• jeremy

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand that you're pissed about your car breaking, but you really shouldn't go on about how your car is a piece of shit, unless it's a ford, then it's okay

really though, it's an old american car, what do you expect?

i just cant see 96 as being old

update..i feel better now.

For some reason...my dad put the oil filter on looser than a $2 whore having a half off sale.

I mean, I actually almost want an older car. Sometimes, this thing does feel put together reallyl cheap.

oh well, i just need a damn drink

jon

i just cant see 96 as being old

update..i feel better now.

For some reason...my dad put the oil filter on looser than a $2 whore having a half off sale.

I mean, I actually almost want an older car. Sometimes, this thing does feel put together reallyl cheap.

oh well, i just need a damn drink

jon

you're dad changes your oil? :lol:

think about it, '96 is 8 years old

yeah, is there something funny about it? Bad thing...is taht he is a GM master tech!

He changes my oil

1) I dont have enough time to do it myself

2) I get it all for free

3) I get to spend time with my dad, doing things we like, which is a rare thing too.

Lastly....all the shops near me wont take oil back, even if you give them some money. So, I dont have to worry about it with him.

yeah, is there something funny about it? Bad thing...is taht he is a GM master tech!

He changes my oil

1) I dont have enough time to do it myself

2) I get it all for free

3) I get to spend time with my dad, doing things we like, which is a rare thing too.

Lastly....all the shops near me wont take oil back, even if you give them some money. So, I dont have to worry about it with him.

1) my dad would laugh his ass off if i asked him to change MY oil

2) an oil change costs under $10

3) if you really want to spend time with your dad, get a bag of bettermaid potato chips and watch cops

Lastly, i recyle my oil in the dumpsters at work

thunder I love my Cutlass, but hate these fucking brakes. Every year the back brakes are a joke...they make my car shake like mad :roll: ! Why did GM put out suck a junkie braking system...I wish I could fuck up at my job as much as certain engineers :x

round here...there like $30.

i was talking about buying 5 quarts of oil and a filter, not having a grease monkey who doesn't know what the fuck he's doing change your oil

i always laugh at those adds that say we do all this shit like lub the chassis and shit because they don't!

thunder I love my Cutlass, but hate these fucking brakes. Every year the back brakes are a joke...they make my car shake like mad :roll: ! Why did GM put out suck a junkie braking system...I wish I could fuck up at my job as much as certain engineers :x

not one of gm's finer moments

i'd like to do the rear brake conversion but there is a scarcity of junkyards around here, and new calipers are $75

I can understand your original sentiment completely. As soon as one thing is fixed, another thing breaks. But my biggest complaint about hese things is how heavy they are. Nothing would be wrong with the brakes if the car weighed 600 pounds less. These cars would run low 14's with that much weight off, stock. The mileage would skyrocket if they were lighter. Hell, I guess I can't get what I want until I break down and get an import. Sad day.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the all important lack of 5-speeds! And don't mean any of these chop jobs, I mean readily available 5-speeds that came stock!

I can understand your original sentiment completely. As soon as one thing is fixed, another thing breaks. But my biggest complaint about hese things is how heavy they are. Nothing would be wrong with the brakes if the car weighed 600 pounds less. These cars would run low 14's with that much weight off, stock. The mileage would skyrocket if they were lighter. Hell, I guess I can't get what I want until I break down and get an import. Sad day.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the all important lack of 5-speeds! And don't mean any of these chop jobs, I mean readily available 5-speeds that came stock!

let's all strip out our interiors now to save weight

93cutlass...dude you GOTTA make your sig pic smaller! PLEASE! Thanks! :D

Now, with that said...how are you getting all that oil and filter for about $10? A case of oil around here is easily over $14. Thats for decent oil. Lets add filter and the rest of the shit. Your talking about $20-$22. Sometimes I do take mine to have one of those 20 min. places do it b/c I just plain don't have time. They do a fine job, and get rid of the shit! It's not easy to dispose of oil around here...at least I haven't found a decent way yet...

--Jeremy

I know how you feel. My car has been trouble free for just over two months now not counting the new tires. I'm bristling with anticipation to see what breaks next. These cars definitly don't have the best build quality in the world. But they are pretty vehicles, and that sir is why I own my Cutlass and not some God awful Taurus or Intrepid.

take off 600 lbs would make a stock n/a w-body run 14s?? :lol:

:withstupid:

Possibly if you could get a 3x00, 3.4 or 3800 in a car to weigh say 2700lbs (approx the same as a j-body) then I could possibly see it happening. If they were 600lbs lighter with everything in it they would be lightweight pieces of garbage. You know how much the Infinity G35 weights? It weighs around 3500lbs... similar to a 2nd gen w-body. Those are probably VERY close in size, but they have high end engineering to get 260hp out of an n/a V6 at only 3.5L (not 3.9L like the new 3900 or whatever).

You get what you pay for. I love my GMs even though shit breaks on them, but overall they are better than Ford or Chrysler. If I had the money I'd be heading on down to the Nissan dealership.

actualllly....i was telling the GF last night the same thing...i actually want a nissan. May sound funny....but for some reason I actually like the MORONo.

That, or dodge. But, the last thing i need is another dodge truck, with the GF having one.

jon

Don't like leaking, get an import! :lol:

Actually, I think all old cars leak, and 94+ are much worse than 88-93 in my experience. Not to mention the quality control is atrocious on the 94. I know Grand Prix's are the least reliable of all W-bodies, and I think that's because the Fairfax plant has terrible quality control (where I think all GP's are built). Our 88 and 89 Cutlass's were built in the Doraville GA plant and their quality control is 10x better than the Fairfax KS built 94.

You might check to see if your car was built in Fairfax! If it's that unreliable, it probably was.

haha...actually...all the imports ive seen leak, unless new...isnt that odd?

I dont mind leaking...this actually wasnt a leak, just my dad being a dumbass. Lifted the car this morning (round 6:45...WAKEUP!), wiped the whole botom of the car and engine bay down. All good now.

I actually dont leak a thing other than the usuall intake gaskets, but doesnt ammount to anything, and never drips, just stays on the block. Hell, ever car ive ever seen does that.

CS were in fairfax too. Well, later ones. IIRC...arnet they all? Thats also where the Intrigues came from.

Ill just stick with car more than likeley. Since I dont have to give my laptop back now...i have a ton more money (had been saving for another one), and i think ill use that and other money to get an older car, just for a switch up. One car can be sooo boring, espc. when your addicted to them.

Where were Lumina's built? And were all older CS made in GA? That...and I may just get me a Gbody or truck just to have a difference.

jon

Im kinda late with the reply, but as a fellow cs owner (95) I know exactly how you feel. For the 3 years I've had my car, I haven't gone 6 months without a major problem- I'm talkin brakes, gaskets, rebuild. yadda yadda yadda. I always get scared if it has run well for more than 2 months- that good luck always signals big problems approaching. I have decided it's a love-hate relationship. I guess a huge part of it is regular maintenence(<- I wish I could spell) though. If you don't do it, these cars respond badly. I can't say I've seen other cars that were a great deal better. Even my moms 2000+ cars are in the shop off and on. Anyways, I think this has inspired me to start a new thread, so that we can all compare our list of problems and hate. :cry:

94+ fixed some engineering problems (i.e. rear calipers), but was also the beginning of GM's great cheapening efforts... wiring went to smaller gauge, plastic parts much thinner, fewer fasteners used, etc.

94+ also leaks a lot more than 88-93, at least mine does. I've had to fix leaky power steering lines and tranny cooler lines on the 94 already. Haven't had to fix those things on the 88 or 89, and those cars also have almost twice the mileage.

The 94 also has incorrectly installed carpet, poorly installed door sill trim, incorrectly cut out hole for the domelight, incorrectly cut out hole for the rear power window switch, poor quality welds on the underbody... it's a mess compared to the 88 and 89, and GM cars of the late 80's weren't known for their quality either.

It wouldn't surprise me if many people switched to imports in the mid-90's. All CS used to be built in Doraville GA. I don't know when they switched.