2.8L dumped it's coolant

Speedwagon

There are six freeze plugs. There is only one in the passenger side, right behind the water pump cover. It is a pain in the ass, and usually you only replace the plugs during a rebuild.

There are six freeze plugs. There is only one in the passenger side, right behind the water pump cover. It is a pain in the ass, and usually you only replace the plugs during a rebuild.

Hmm... sounds like I might have to tear down to the block to get to it then, eh? Maybe I will just replace the headgaskets, and take a peek around while everything is out.

I think it's the head gasket. I ripped out the alternater, bracket, and rotated the engine forward. Ran my fingers along the bottom of the head, and came back with black sludge, oil, and coolant.

So looks like the car is getting some new gaskets. Is it necessary to replace the head bolts as well? Car has 170k on it, and it's not a primary car. Overall, it's in fairly sorry shape(paint/interior), but runs decent.

Service Manual implies the head bolts can be reused, but since they are stretch bolts (torque to yield), I wouldn't recommend reusing them.

It's cheaper to replace them than to have to do the job over again.

mayb you can come back to MN and do the head gaskets on my 90 cutlass with the 3.1.

you know you want to come back to MN.

;)

good luck with this.

weather around here is steadily staying warmer with more daylight hours so i hope to start digging into my cutlass soon.

the GP is OK but i really miss the cutlass.

Monty

call a mechanic and ask him where are some of the freeze plugs located on the motor ...if any at all .....i had similar prob...but it was my waterpump ...replaced it and no leaks at all