Custom Cold Air Intakes for W-Bodys -- is there demand? *Was

Stencil

Greetings all,

Some of you may know me already, but for those who don't, my name is Aaron and I run a small company by the name of Tranzgenic Performance. We design and sell custom Cold Air Intake systems for some of the "less popular" makes and models.

Anyhow, I've had a recent request to design a CAI for a local guy with a 00 Intrigue 3.5 and I was wondering if there would be anyone else interested in one as well? It's pretty simple for me to 'one off' and intake system with the car in front of me, but to actually put one into production takes some careful research and jig design that takes a bit of time.

The system would be a TRUE cold air design, made from 3" or 4" T6061 Mandrel Aluminum and would be a direct factory replacement (no sensors left hanging in the engine bay). It most likley retail for around $159 and gains of 5-7WHP are typical (however, after riding in the 3.5 and seeing it's airbox, I'd almost expect a little more) - when I put an intake into production, I also dyno it so we'll have a solid figure if I proceed.

Here's a snapshot of one of my Beretta Intakes -- just so you get an idea of what it looks like: finishedintake1.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stencil

• 93CutlassSupreme

• dykz34

• Aaron

Wow, its been a while since you've posted over here.

Anyways, his intakes have been dynoed and do show an increase in power. So for all interested, i'm giving you a thumbs up.

So being a W-page, what custom CAI's do you make for our cars?? That BTW, the Beretta one looks pretty nice! :wink:

i agree. make some for us!

Well, what engine/models do you guys want intake's for? I have a 92 Cutlass Supreme 2 door w/ 3.1 that is handy to design an intake for. I'd need some info on what years that would work on, and about 10 people interested (so it'll be worth my time to develop) and I can make it happen. If you want ones designed other then what a 92 3.1 would fit, then I'd need a test car to build them on.

Here's some dyno sheets on my Beretta 3.1 and 3100 intakes:

http://www.tranzgenic.com/intakes/28-31/31tranzintakedyno.jpg

http://www.tranzgenic.com/intakes/3100/stock3100vstranzintakedyno2.jpg

As you can see, they both make good power across the board (and sound awesome too ;) ).

Gimmie some feedback people and I'll make it happen! :)

So being a W-page, what custom CAI's do you make for our cars?? That BTW, the Beretta one looks pretty nice! :wink:

Quick question, most CAI's made for the 3100 require moving the battery into the trunk. I really dont want to do that so do yours require that? I know that there isnt much room to work with, but if there was a way to do it without moving anything I'd buy it in a second!

I personally am NOT a fan of relocating the battery at ALL, so I've never designed a kit that requires that. All of my intake systems leave the battery in the stock location -- however, since space CAN be limited, sometimes my kits require some trimming of the engine bay sheet metal to accomodate the new intake system.

Here is a picture of the trimming required on the 2.8 / 3.1 Beretta engine bay (just as an example) -- figure3.3.jpg

I would need a 3100 test car to make a 3100 intake for the W-body however.

Quick question, most CAI's made for the 3100 require moving the battery into the trunk. I really dont want to do that so do yours require that? I know that there isnt much room to work with, but if there was a way to do it without moving anything I'd buy it in a second!

Definately interested - I have a 92 euro 3.4L and all I ever hear when I ask about CAI is to just by a drop in K&N box filter - not exactly a big change in the engine bay - I've seen some guys strap a filter cone to the intake, but that just leaves the IAT sensor hanging around. 8)

Yup, I'd be interested for my 3.4L DOHC. I have a K&N Filtercharger intake with custom made 'piping', but I'd be looking for the true CAI. I removed the air box of course, and was looking were it would actually go. How would you work around to get the filter farther down? I can't seem to find much room there.

How much HP would I gain would ya say?

Do you make one for the 3800 series I ? Mine looks like a friggin coffee can. I was also wondering if one from a 3800 series II would work? How much would it be?

I (usually) live in the Springs also, I'd be willing to let you use one of my turbo Grand prix's for testing an 3.1T set up.....need to wait till 05 when I get back from an overseas assignment.

There is definitely an interest in CAIs for W-bodies. We don't have a very large number of Intrigue owners that frequent this site, though. If you got ahold of a 1st gen. GTP/Z34/Cutty 3.4, and built an intake for one or all of those, you might have a real seller. Same goes for 2.8, 3.1, and 3800 cars.

The hard part of getting a true cold air on the 1st Gen. W-Bodies is the placement of the battery. It will be very difficult to sneak a 3" pipe around the battery unfortunately. :(

I had the same issues with the 88-91ish Beretta V6's -- there might be a little trimming of the engine bay sheet metal required, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull it off (had a look at some W-bodys at the junkyard today).

I am located in Colorado Springs for anyone else that might have a car they want an intake for.

The hard part of getting a true cold air on the 1st Gen. W-Bodies is the placement of the battery. It will be very difficult to sneak a 3" pipe around the battery unfortunately. :(