how to hook up a tachometer ?

stlunatics2oo3

Guest TurboSedan
well i would like that malibu olds but couldn't some one make the old gauge clust work to fit the new gauge cluster clip work with the old gauge i mean so you could just clip it in the old one

bascially by upgrading the new gauge clip go and match up with the old one is that possible i mean i would give ya 50 bucks plus the price for the gauge cluster casue i am not to mechanically inclined with the wire stuff if that is possible tell me i will save the cash up

if not malibu i will have to wait till about christmas so i can send you cash since i have no credit card or anything seein i am a 17 year old kid

no way, the base cluster plug has a TOTALLY different pinout. it won't even plug into the gauges cluster because the plug itself is different. let me know if you want one, i'll see what i can do.

joshua

what if you take the old gauge clusters plug that you could take that ones and hook up the old gauge clip that is hooked right to the new

one

i guess what i am sayin is take the new gauge clusters plug and make it fit the old one it seems possible to me but iunno i am very unsure but if some one can do it i would liek to get one malibuolds but at the moment i am waiting for my christmas money maybe sooner but i am unsure but yes i am interested

Guest TurboSedan
how can yall like digital gauges? I know its your opinion. personally, i like the classy look of analog

oh man i love the gauges cluster! that was the first upgrade i did to my car and what got me addicted to doing more upgrades. it is a very nice digital dash, and does not look cheesy or cheap like alot of other digital dashes. Like Shawn, i don't think i'd want a '95+ CS just because they don't have it. it matches my Pioneer 1.5 DIN DEH-P77DH stereo perfectly also. i like the Analog cluster too, but it seems a little boring compared to the digital gauges cluster (just my opinion).

joshua

xtreme, do yourself a favor and locate a 6 gauge dashboard off a Euro lumina. It should plug right in, and all you'll need is to run a wire for the tach and replace the 2 sensors, one on the engine block behind the throttle body, the other next to the oil filter. It's tai-hooker easy. In reference to the digital vs analog, Ive been using my sister's '93 cutty all last week and I learned to like the analog. Very similar to the digital one in the layout, approximately. Heck, if you blur your eyes at night they pretty much look the same!!

I'd never get a '95+ Cutlass, one of the reasons is how boring the dash got, including the cluster, climate control among other things, like broken face vents!

okay for now i got a aftermarket tach i found in my g/fs dads garage so how would i hook it up a easy way casue i think my car is shiftin too late so i would like to kno please and tahnk you

i kno i can do that converions with digital base to gauge cluster i did it on paper ad stuff so i can do it so lets get to business umm what is the tachometer wire one like the example d-1 area or what thanks

how can yall like digital gauges? I know its your opinion. personally, i like the classy look of analog

I find the Cutlass Supreme electronic cluster with tach and gauges very attractive and functional. One could say it is analog, as all gauges consist of numerous lighted segments in a sweeping arc, with an additional digital display of MPH/KPH. Would like to add a switch to turn off the digital display of speed and odometer, the "analog" speedometer is enough. If the printed circuit board is accessible, maybe the traces to the digital displays could be cut, and a switch added?

State-of-the-art electronic analog instrumentation in 1960 :

imp60d2.jpg

Fluorescent numbers were backlit by an electroluminescent light source, powered by a high voltage power supply.

This link shows a full photo of the 1960 Imperial dash in a brochure, with woman on car phone. I wonder if Chrysler installed the phone as an option then?

http://www.movit.de/htm/impdani.htm

Car phone! How the hell!!!! They use CB or something?

If you want to disable the speed readout, there is definetly a way. Cutlasses that came with the HUD STOCK (at least in '90-91) did not have the numeric readout. I don't know if the ECM or memcal controlled this, or there is some other way. I saw this in the '90 and '91 cutlass training videos I got.

I don't know how anyone can like analog??? It's got ZERO "cool factor" in my eyes, but I don't like ordinary electronics either. I own an Ipaq PocketPC not because I really need one, but because of its cool color screen. I spent a boatload of money on a 19" flat panel LCD monitor (same size as my 21" CRT) because it just looks so cool. I spent a few hundred dollars for one of those phones with expandable handsets just because it has a cool dot-matrix alphanumeric LCD even though I don't even have Caller ID. I like anything and everything with an electronic display of some kind on it.

You should be glad I'm such an electronics geek - it's thanks to my Cutlass and it's digital dash and various displays why The W-Body Page exists at all. The pages and the forum are 100% due to the digital instrumentation! Because if W-bodies came out in '88 much like they were in '95 (basic, no frills, analog, no toys), I would be driving different cars right now.

BTW, it's entirely the reason I specifically sought out a '94 convertible - digital dash can go in it!

okay on shawns way of hookin this cluster gauge not the old one but it says some wires with out a color and i was wonderin if they will just not be there or will be a different color in all of them i am doin alot of research on paper like what it would look like and color ad i ran in to some things so i was just wonderin i am confusin myself and what is it about the yellow wire i was told about ??????????

Guest TurboSedan

interestingly, according to the w-body page directions, it says "C15 (PNK/BLK 39) NOT USED (leave unconnected)". so i left this wire unconnected and everything was fine. until i did my 3.1/5-speed swap. the alternator would not get the signal to turn on. after snapping the wire in, everything was fine and my alternator started charging again. it must have had something to do with the '90 Grand Prix engine wiring harness that went in along with the Getrag, i dunno. BTW, which port on the gauges cluster does the tach wire go to? D13 or something like that?

joshua