how to hook up a tachometer ?

stlunatics2oo3

okay i have the base digital dash and i wanna hook up a tachometer for a lil while to find out a few things and i wanna kno exactly how to hook it up and where the wire is located kinda exactly

i have a 89 cutlass supreme sl

base cluster digi

2.8 engine

thanks in advanced

all i know my is that it has to be hooked into the coil pack and the ground and ignition wires are a obvious. Thats all i can tell ya, i asled the same question over at EFI. Where in MI are you? i don't know if i a asked you or not. later Jay

owosso yeah i figured it was suppose to go some where on teh coil pack but i heard there is a wire that comes all the way up to the fire wall i could tap into so who knows oh yeah i like teh rims wish i had teh cash to buy them off ya but i am in poor state with christmas and stuff

Tach wire is the white one coming out of the ignition module.

If you want a tach, dump that base cluster and install a gauges cluster. You can go the hard way and rewire it for the digital gauges cluster, or plug an analog gauges cluster right in. You may need to run the tach wire up to the analog gauges cluster, but you won't have to change any wires around.

analog are the needle gauges correct so i can hook them right up to my car no rewiring at all cause my cars digital dash like blinks off when it gets warm or sumfin and i smakc the dash cap and it comes back on but your sayin i can hook that straight up

where do i get these analog gauges cause i have an automatics but i want the maunaul look i guess lol thanks for you help

Guest TurboSedan

go with the digital gauges cluster!!! i can get you one fairly cheap (probably under $50 which is what i paid for mine). that has got to be one of the coolest upgrades to my car and it is an easy upgrade....no soldering or anything except for that one tach wire that goes to the ALDL. the digital gauges cluster rockssss!!! :) you have to swap the oil & coolant temp switches out for senders (sensors), but that is obviously a GOOD thing.

joshua

Yeah, analog is the needles cluster. It's pinout compatible with the digital base cluster. You can get one out of any 92-94 Cutlass Supreme w/gauges cluster.

I agree with malibuolds, the digital gauges cluster is the coolest.

My wife wants me to swap out the analog gauges cluster in our 94 convertible with the digital gauges cluster. I haven't gotten around to it because I'd need to swap the pinouts around and also find a way to add the extra warning lights (AIRBAG, etc.) that the 94 has.

iunnno i kinda like needle ones but i am unsure what those senders and sensor things are for oil if i knew exactly how to change the base cluster to a 6 cluster i would do that

well for right now i wanna put them analog ones, casue i have no credit card and stuff to order things off the net. so i am very unsure, but i kno that the junk yard has some analog and then i could have them white face gauges lol ! any ways how would i do the change from digital to analog for now? it is too cold to do to much work un the hood.lol thanks in advanced

Guest TurboSedan

it's not hard at all, just pop the wires out with a small jewelers screwdriver and snap them into the right places on the gauges cluster plug. the directions are all on Shawn's site - w-body.com - under the electrical upgrades section. i'm sure alot of people here including myself could guide you through it. you don't even have to swap the temp/oil pressure switches out right away if you don't want to, but the oil pressure guage would be peaked and the temp gauge would read cold until you do. same with the tach wire that needs to be soldered in (or otherwise spliced in)...the tach just won't work until you get the wire spliced in. the only problem with the gauges cluster upgrade is that you will probably get a cluster with different miles on the odometer. my cluster shows almost exactly 20,000 more miles than i actually have.

btw, my base cluster worked intermitenly also....the speedo wouldn't work unless i smacked some sense into it :P i actually ended up cracking it pretty good once and then i finally decided to do the upgrade.

joshua

so with the digital upgrade all i would have to do is clip them in and stuff well that seems a lil better and how much or where do i get them oil and temp things and how do i wire them up and stuff cause i might do that one instead i mean i want a 6 gauge cluster i think they look awesome so please inform me so i can write this stuff down

yeah i read shawns instructions and i was like all confused i am only 17 and tryin to some engineer stufff is just crazy lol

any way to put digital in a lumina? that'd be cool as hell!

Electrically, yes, but physically, no. No digital dash is made to fit the Lumina so you'd have to do some severe dash mods to get a digital out of a Cutlass Supreme to fit. Buick Regal had a pretty cool gauges digital dash too. I would (and have seriously considered) to buy myself a Regal JUST because of the digital dash! :lol: I'm a big fan of digital dashes, guess that's just the electronics/computer geek in me. I'm actually more captivated by cool digital dashes than fast engines. :lol: :lol: BTW, Grand Prix had a digital dash, but it's a hybrid analog/digital and isn't all that nice IMO. If you're gonna hack up your dash, go for the full digital!

HACK is one work i don't like to hear in a mod!!! Guess i'll have to put up with the Speedo, fuel gauge, and dummy lights!!! I HATE MY DASH! ANYONE WANT TO MAKE ME ONE OF THOSE KOOL OVERLAYS? later Jay

so what are the prices for them oil/ temp things casue i am gonna do this one and i will need to ko all the tricks i will do it over christmas break at my dads garage heated ooooo yeah lol so what do i have to do to do it thanks

Guest TurboSedan

i just went and bought my oil/temp senders at Checker, i think probably $20 or so - you'd have to call them up and check. if not Checker then Advance or Napa or something. just make sure you get *senders (sensors)* that control a guage, and NOT the switch like you have now and only controls an idiot light. senders and switches look alot alike if not identical in appearance.

what about just swaping and ENTIRE CS dash into a Lumina? i mean they are both w-bodies anyway, so it should fit right in.....right? i had the dash pad off of my CS the other day and it didn't look *too* difficult to take the entire thing out... that might be one way to do it and no hacking about it.

joshua

The Regal one is real cool. I had a 1989 (?) Gran Sport come in with it. I agress with Shawn. I like fast cars, but I like cool electronicas as well. That is why I have gone crazy and installed lots of digital screens in the car (the guages, the radio, the clinate control, the DIC, and I am looking for a compass mirror).

Taylor

not knocking motors here. I like fast motors. That is why I am building a motor right now, and will have it in the car (hopefully) in december.

Guest TurboSedan
so does anyone that has done this to there car live in michigan so i can go there and have you help or do it for some cash like 50 bucsk or so i am super confused

i'd do it for $50 in a heartbeat if i was in Michigan!

1st - disconnect the battery.

2nd - take your old base cluster out.

3rd - pop all of the wires out of the base cluster plug using a jewelers scredriver. it seems difficult to do at first but you'll get the hang of it quick. you cannot use the base cluster plug with the guages cluster.

4th - get a gauges cluster and make sure you get it's plug (pigtail) with it.

5th - pop all of the wires out of the plug so you have a bare plug with no wires in it. keep one of the wires so you can use it for the tach wire later.

6th - snap the wires that *were* in your old base cluster plug into the right locations on the new gauges plug as described on w-body.com.

7th - make SURE you snapped the wires into the right place. triple check. make sure you reinstall the plastic wire retainers into the plug so the wires can't fall out.

8th - plug it into your new gauges cluster.

9th - reconnect the battery.

10th - hopefully it works :)

11th - you can replace your temp/oil switches later and they will work. they are not hard to replace at all.

12th - i cannot remember the right port on the cluster plug that the tach uses (anyone ?), but you should keep a wire (and it's connector) from the gauges cluster plug you emptied (see step 5 above). snap this wire into the tach port on the plug and run it down to the ALDL plug under the dash. if you poke your head under the dash and look at the ALDL plug, the tach wire goes to the bottom passenger side port. to tell you the truth, i just stripped 1/4" of wire off and stuffed it into the port for now :oops: i know it's crude but it works until i actually splice (solder and shrinkwrap) the wire into the backside of the plug for a more clean installation.

well that about covers it. the gauges cluster upgrade is probably the easiest interior electronic upgrade you can do. if you want a gauges cluster i can get you one and even test it out in my car before i send it to you. who knows, maybe later you will want to do more stuff like HUD, DIC, and ACC (the most difficult).

good luck

joshua

well i would like that malibu olds but couldn't some one make the old gauge clust work to fit the new gauge cluster clip work with the old gauge i mean so you could just clip it in the old one

bascially by upgrading the new gauge clip go and match up with the old one is that possible i mean i would give ya 50 bucks plus the price for the gauge cluster casue i am not to mechanically inclined with the wire stuff if that is possible tell me i will save the cash up

if not malibu i will have to wait till about christmas so i can send you cash since i have no credit card or anything seein i am a 17 year old kid