Problems With Blower Motor

91GranSport

I think I may have problems with my blower motor. It does not blow the air as fast as it normally would. The temperature is fine, when I select "Hot" it comes out hot and when I select "Cold" it comes out cold. I thought it could be my alternator so I put the vehicle in park and revved the engine, and the fan speed is still very slow. Are these symptoms of a bad or dying blower motor? If so, is it difficult to replace a blower motor? Finally, is it best to purchase the blower motor brand new or used? Thanks!

I had to replace my blower motor 4 months ago in a 94 gp. it was sort of a pain in the arse. :x it took some time and sweat. the reason mine wasn't working right was becaue some paper from my glovebox had fallen behind and got into the blower motor housing (don't ask how) and was rubbing on the squirrel cage and making a horrible squealing noise. when i finally took it out the squirrel cage had a crack in it so i had to buy a new one. A GM store wanted $119 for it with a one year warranty, that is rediculous. Then i went to a regular auto supply store and they had one that was $89 with a lifetime warranty, much more reasonable. the factory plug-in wouldn't work with the new fan cause the new fan had just plain old + and - terminals, so I had to cut off the factory plug and then just attached the wires to the new fan. the new fan works much better than the factory one and my air is blowing much faster, hotter, and colder than before. My guess is you probably need a new fan. O, and the squealing noise is gone, the new fan is much quieter. 8)

Thanks for your help. I'm going to fuck around with my blower motor tomorrow. I'm going to call around and see how much they cost. I'll see if I can pick one up used. I definitely won't be purchasing one from a GM dealer. It sucks 'cause right now we're hitting the -10 or so mark not including the windchill factor and all I have is a little elf behind the dashboard whistling some heat into the cabin. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

• 4 years later...