How fast have you gone

maybe2fast

In my dads 1972 Chrysler New Yorker, in 1977, dont tell him though!

The car was just floating along, couldnt tell 120+ from 55, really smooth. I wouldnt want to have to turn or stop though. It was quite a bit more than 120.

RW

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mfewtrail

• digitaloutsider

• dbtk2

• TeeJay3800

80 easily, mid 90's in a '91 Regal- only thing stopping it was the car needing some work with downshifting and the sluggishness once it hits the higher gears. But as with the others, the ride is smooth. I'd take it up to 100+, but it's too much of a daily driver to run down the engine.

well lets say i've had the needle past 115 on my z34. lets just say it was about 125+ estimating by the distance the needle traveled. and yes, going that fast, the car is very quiet, and very stable.

The highest speed I've been up to in my '00 Regal LS is 80mph..Car floats,and rides like a dream..

Jeez.. I drive 85-90 MPH daily. Atlanta Rush hour traffic and driving down to Newnan.

The highest speed I've been up to in my '00 Regal LS is 80mph..Car floats,and rides like a dream..

Jeez.. I drive 85-90 MPH daily. Atlanta Rush hour traffic and driving down to Newnan.

Yeah, really! In Detroit if your not going 85+mph your gonna get run over.

Shawn

Yeah, really! In Detroit if your not going 85+mph your gonna get run over.

Shawn

when i was in baltimore for two weeks it was the same deal, four lanes of mahem, and still people were blowing by me. i just couldn't beleive it. (i had the z)

Max freeway speed limit in Central Ohio is 65mph..State Troopers and Local Police are particularly strick on certain "age" and "race"..From what I've encountered with Newark and Reynoldsburg Police :flip: ...

113 in the old Probe (gov.)

124 in my dad's 99 GTP, still had a long ways to go, but 124 on the Dan Ryan is just nuts :

The Grand Am just had no balls at all over 80, don't think I took it much faster than 90-95. 3 speeds may work in a V-8, but four bangers just don't have the torque.

Taken the Regal to 105, didn't like the way it felt. Once I get the alignment checked, maybe faster.

159 knots in a Piper Warrior doing a low pass (that's 182 mph, and right at redline on the airframe)

195 mph in a Cessna Skylane, doing the same thing, about 6 or 7 mph under redline. And yes, I was behind the controls, and about 5-10' above the runway doing it, so it was close to driving.

110 MPH last night in my friends VW GTI 1.8 turbo.

Felt kinda like a loud 50 MPH (windows were open) them little white lines move really fast at that speed. It was incredible how stable it was.

• 2 weeks later...

154mph in my old turbo GP. Thank god for HUDs and ZR tires. Car felt smooooooth.

that was with just exhaust, t-stat, and filter. Still had some RPM left and accelerating. The wipers were starting to lift though so I had to calm down. Damn TGPs rip right up there after you hit 100mph for some reason though. I would be loosing races from highway speeds by a couple cars, but once I hit 100mph the damn thing would pull down nearly anything. 330ci, NA cobras, supercharged maximas, 350zs.

108mph in the 94 GTP. wouldnt push anymore than that. fuel cut? Thats enough for me in that car.

102mph in my old 90 3.1 cutty sedan.

From what I understand, early W-bods have a pretty low drag coefficient. The TGP hood scoops also served to break up vortices before they hit the hood and go over the car. eliminating the drag from "cowl-induction" theories. The ribbing on the cars also serve like the dimples on a golf-ball do, they break up the total surface area for a certain area and eliminate drag. Lexus does this to the underside of their new LS430. Which is better than a flat surface that alot of high performance cars utilize. Lift is worse than drag.

Just remember though, these things dont have the suspensions or brakes to be doing those speeds. Even braking slowly from 130mph to 50mph is generating enough heat in your brakes to make them useless for the next 20 mins or so, not to mention your tires are making serious heat in them. W-bods dont like fast lane changes at high speed either,. they take wayyyyy too long to settle down again, and the leaf springs tend to allow the rear end to hop at high speeds when hitting mid-turn bumps. This problem is noted even in modern corvettes as they all use a fibreglass transverse mono-leaf spring as well. anyone whos entered a turn at 40mph and hit some rough pavement with the rear tires, while the front is tracking on smooth pavement know what I mean. Generally the small hops seem to correct the cronic understeer that W-bods exhibit, but at 100mph your gonna be spinning the fawk around, and no driving school teaches axle-hop as a positive driving techniqe. Also, not enough downforce to keep the rear down at high-speeds, so axl-hop has another contributor at these speeds.

I like stoplight racing better anyways :) its just that the 3.4dohc makes power like a hondafied nissan VQ30 V6. where is the tourqe?

Just remember though, these things dont have the suspensions or brakes to be doing those speeds. Even braking slowly from 130mph to 50mph is generating enough heat in your brakes to make them useless for the next 20 mins or so, not to mention your tires are making serious heat in them. W-bods dont like fast lane changes at high speed either,. they take wayyyyy too long to settle down again, and the leaf springs tend to allow the rear end to hop at high speeds when hitting mid-turn bumps. Anyone whos entered a turn at 40mph and hit some rough pavement with the rear tires, while the front is tracking on smooth pavement know what I mean. Generally the small hops seem to correct the cronic understeer that W-bods exhibit, but at 100mph your gonna be spinning the fawk around, and no driving school teaches axle-hop as a positive driving techniqe. Also, not enough downforce to keep the rear down at high-speeds, so axl-hop has another contributor at these speeds.

I don't think anyone could have said it better.

I might be mistaken here, but I'd just have to see that to believe it.

you are mistaken. Ive been around on these boards a Very long time under different names. I dont make stuff up.

the HUD said 154mph

TGPs did not have a govenor or speed limiter.

They had Z rated tires stock. That was something brand-new back in '89.

Im not certain if they had the gov removed because of the tire rating, or the tires were chosen because of no govenor, but a few of the long time posters and long-time TGP gurus have seen speeds that high as well.

There is a direct relationship between increasing speedometer error and constant rate of change of true speed.

the faster you go, the more your speedo is off. Who knows, it coulda been 160mph :wink:

You're talking to me like I'm some sort of n00b on these forums. I haven't been here as long as some people, I just find 154 MPH in a w-body of any sort hard to believe. Maybe I haven't been around TGP's long enough, but it's just something that's difficult to comprehend.

You're talking to me like I'm some sort of n00b on these forums. I haven't been here as long as some people, I just find 154 MPH in a w-body of any sort hard to believe. Maybe I haven't been around TGP's long enough, but it's just something that's difficult to comprehend.

Take a look at clubgp..some have posted pictures of 97+ GTP's doing 150mph+ showing on the HUD...some have did 160+ as well, modded suspensions and all..stock feels floaty as hell at 120+. :oops:

You're talking about GTP's, which I believe. He's referring to TGP's. I'm sorry I just don't see it happening.

I know, but you stated that you find it *hard to believe* that a w-body of *ANY sort* could do that...

Damnit, I thought I typed more then that w/ my last reply.

Anyways, I forgot to mention that most TGP's are speed limited to 128mph(3rd gear @ WOT..4th gear will not engage on the later made TGP's..I believe it's the early 89's that can go past 128 because 4th is allowed at WOT)