muffler recommendations

ThunderBat

I'm still thinking very strongly about buying this 2000GP I looked at last week (you know how money can keep you from doing things right on the spot)...anyways, whether its now or by the end of the year I feel pretty strongly that the next ride is gonna be a GP...and if all the ones I look at are as quiet as the one I drove I know exhaust work is gonna be the 1st order of business! (I just can't stand a quiet car)...since the GP has the 3.8 engine instead of the 3.1 in my Lummie, and I don't think that I've ever heard a 3.8 with a hot exhaust (I don't count the TurboRegal or the GNX I have heard)...I was wondering what some of you guys may have installed on your rides...and just in case someone reading this owns a 97-02GP, how big of an exhaust tip does the factory cut-outs in the lower rear panel have room for?

actually my buddys gtp (02) sounds great with just his stock muffs cut off. I have yet to hear a 3.8 gp with a good aftermarket exhaust, the slp loudmouth sounds like shit and so does the borla. Just be careful when working with a 3.8 gp because most do sound like a wet fart. Later Jay

If i were you i'd just cut the muffs off first to hear it and then decide if u need muffs or not, it's not to loud and has a really nice tone to it

I know I'm probably letting the thought of getting this car bug me too much, but I just can't seem to stop thinking about it. As far as just cutting the muffs off, that sounds a lot like what I did with my Intrepid. We just cut it off right behind the cat and started it up. It sounded pretty good that way if a touch loud. So we went with one glasspack right behind the cat and then "Y"-ed off into the 2 tailpipes. That seemed to give it a nice tone and I think the muff being farther up the exhaust line kept it from buzzing the inside of the car at highway speed...that sounds like it might be the way to go here especially since I was looking at the GrandPrix Store and that "U"bend behind the cat will definitely have to go, plus they had rolled dual outlet tips that fit the factory cutouts! yeah baby!