Pulled the motor....found a few suprises

The Burning Rom

Well...after 2 weeks of looking at the car (TGP #2), I finally decided to pull the motor this weekend. It wasn't bolted to the torque converter, so pulling it didn't take very long. When I got it out, I found two suprises...one good..and one bad. The first was that the motor had a refurb tag on it. :D And the motor doesn't look too bad at all. Looks like it was a refurbished long block. The heads look clean, and there's still a lot of blue paint on the block. :shock: So it's looking like rebuilding the motor won't take very long. The hardest part will be finding a turbo and rear manifold. :cry: BTW, does anyone know if the dealer would be able to tell me anything about this motor if they had the refurb # and the VIN? :?

The other suprise was..well...this picture says it all:

axle3.jpg

That boot is shot. Apparently the tranny was not propped up last time the car was moved without the motor in it. :cry: So...as long as I have the motor out, I might as well replace the whole axle along with some other things that are a lot easier to replace right now (High Pressure PS line, Accumulator, Cradle bolts and mounts). :twisted:

There are some more pics of the motor in this folder:

http://www.neonix.org/nero/tgp2/motorpics/

And here's pics of the car when I first got it:

http://www.theburningrom.com/nero/tgp2/

Although it sucks to find problems...I would be glad that was the only thing u found. The last time I pulled the motor in my car, three of the pistons had holes the size of quarters in them! :( Can you say detonation? And these were J/E Forged Pistons, i couldnt imagine what would have happened to the stock ones! :shock:

Wow, that poor car was trashed!

I have some extra genuine Delco CV joint boot kits if you want to fix that axle. I mistakenly bought a pair of inners when what I needed was outers. :(

$50 down the tubes. :cry: