turbo on a 3100?

phantomFE3

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2447596473&category=33741

It's this one right here actually. I got some pictures loaded onto my computer, but none on the web yet.

I've got a lot of the planning for it done allready, but my biggest concern is the throttle body. I want to be able to use the stock 3100 throttle body on that, but im still confused on what the plate is gonna look like that im gonna have to put inbetween the SC and the TB.

The pulley is kinda another problem. I hope that I can find a larger pulley, because that would be way too much boost the way it is right now. Plus, the pulley is a lot wider than the belt I have on my car right now. If I can graft a pulley off another car that is the right width, and is larger, than I'm all set. I've also got it figured out where im gonna mount my dummey pulley so the SC gets all the belt it requires to spin it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• manitcor

• mfewtrail

• Dannymik

Top Posters In This Topic

Another concern I have is hood clearance, but if I don't have enough, I can always head down to the JY and pick up a $60 hood. Here's a crappy drawing I did in like 2 minutes post-14-1073417353.jpg

Actually, any SC would work. That shaft wouldn't be too hard to make.

think *size* here..I've seen toyota roots style blowers that are the size of an average ac compressor and the same basic shape(like the one on the 3400 pic manticor posted)..I'd like to see you stuff the M90 right there :wink: ..I'm sure you could put an M90 there..but you would have to move some stuff most likely..that round cased sc seems to fit pretty snug in there and looks like not a whole lot was done to put it there.

Actually, any SC would work. That shaft wouldn't be too hard to make.

think *size* here..I've seen toyota roots style blowers that are the size of an average ac compressor and the same basic shape(like the one on the 3400 pic manticor posted)..I'd like to see you stuff the M90 right there :wink: ..I'm sure you could put an M90 there..but you would have to move some stuff most likely..that round cased sc seems to fit pretty snug in there and looks like not a whole lot was done to put it there.

Actually it looks like an M90 Eaton blower. But if you are going with that type of setup why not get a Whipple or Pro Charger? Both have more potential in my opinion.

D

I think that is an M90 actually and its mounted into a Grand AM GT, i have some more pictures but they are on my home PC, I will try to remeber to get it to you.

I also have pics of the GM concept turbo GrandAM

I think that is an M90 actually and its mounted into a Grand AM GT, i have some more pictures but they are on my home PC, I will try to remeber to get it to you.

doh! :oops: upon looking at the picture again, it does appear to be an M90. When I first looked at it, I thought it had a round casing. Anyways..for whoever said why not get whipple or procharger..that's funny...a M90 is PLENTY for that 3400..the fastest M90 powered 97+ GTP's are in the low 11's...although they have every mod known to man done to them...but that pretty much goes to show you what the M90 is capable of.

Ok, update time. I have pretty much decided on mounting it the way it is on the GA. So, with spare time on my hands, i popped the hood on my car and put the supercharger in there. I don't have the time to make that shaft for the blower, so I was just wanting to mount it in place where it would make contact with the belt. I now have clearance issues, the strut mount being the big one. So, I am wondering, how much of the strut mount can I cut out of there and it still be safe? I'm talking about the part of it that go's over the exhaust manifold and down. Also, my fan blade protector things (there like black plastic) is also a problem, but not a big one. I know I can shave some of the plastic off of that. I also had some extra foam sitting around the house, so i got a little creative. I copied the intake and exhaust ports of the SC onto paper. I then put the intake port onto one side of a piece of foam. I then drew a 3" circle on the other side. I then cut that all out to get an idea of what the plate will have to look like when it comes time to make it.

theres a turbo grand am at the junkyard here, it was sittin right next to the '92 GTP me and my friend ripped apart, lol

I am seeing one major problem w/ you idea. How are you going to pipe the air into the TB? W/ so little room, and you pushing the SC upto the belt it's gonna put your SC outlet right at the A) Exhaust manifold or B) The fans that you have already stated are in the way. That is why a CSC is so great in a tight fitting space like this. You will still have to fabricate the drive shaft for it, but then the piping to the TB will be SOOOO easy. Not saying to use one, but I see a flaw w/ your current plan. Would like to see how your going to get around it.

For the tubing from the SC to the TB, I'm making a plate. Instead of the tubing coming out the opposite side of the plate, im gonna have it come out the side of the plate, that way it won't be hitting the exhaust manifold. That solves that problem.

I originally wanted a CSC, but there way too expensive. The roots type is much easier to find, making them cheaper, but harder to work with.

BTW, how much boost does a stock GTP or and SSEI make? I want to know through all the years, that way I pick up the pulley that will only make about 5-6 lbs. of boost. The one on there now will make way too much.

another setup like this that I found tonight

http://www.cardomain.com/id/gt150

Good CHRIST. Is the SC pulley SUPPOSED to be smaller than the snout. :lol: I want to talk to this guy in about a year when he's putting a new motor in that thing. IIRC a L67 makes ~4-6 psi. But I most deffinetly could be wrong. You also have to realize that manifold pressure is very motor specific. Two 3800's (or any fed engine for that matter) can have the same power level but the lower eff. one (Ie... No head work, less eff. I/C, more restrictive exhaust) will have to have higher boost to make up for it. Try blowing through a straw. If you pinch it you will have higher pressure in there, but less flow. Open it up, and you have low pressure high flow. So, just make as much boost as possible, and blow up your motor. That's what I would do.

Good CHRIST. Is the SC pulley SUPPOSED to be smaller than the snout. :lol: I want to talk to this guy in about a year when he's putting a new motor in that thing. IIRC a L67 makes ~4-6 psi. But I most deffinetly could be wrong. You also have to realize that manifold pressure is very motor specific. Two 3800's (or any fed engine for that matter) can have the same power level but the lower eff. one (Ie... No head work, less eff. I/C, more restrictive exhaust) will have to have higher boost to make up for it. Try blowing through a straw. If you pinch it you will have higher pressure in there, but less flow. Open it up, and you have low pressure high flow. So, just make as much boost as possible, and blow up your motor. That's what I would do.

From everything I've seen the 3.8'' stock pulley equates to ~7-8psi on a 3800. The guy w/ the GA has a small ass pulley and probably not a lot of mods, as Jay said in the quote above..he'll probably need a new motor soon. I wonder how heavy that shaft is..it's pretty long as well, maybe that has some effect on boost since in the GTP's the snout/shaft is shorter and probably takes less to spin it?

From everything I've seen the 3.8'' stock pulley equates to ~7-8psi on a 3800. The guy w/ the GA has a small ass pulley and probably not a lot of mods, as Jay said in the quote above..he'll probably need a new motor soon. I wonder how heavy that shaft is..it's pretty long as well, maybe that has some effect on boost since in the GTP's the snout/shaft is shorter and probably takes less to spin it?

I think he may have to watch out for the shaft snapping, if anything... unless it's built solid :D

But thats the thing fellas, right now I don't really have the money to blow my engine up. The supercharger I got came with the smallest pulley available. Right now, im just looking for some boost that the computer can handle. When the engine finally go's in a year or two (i hope), then i will go with about 8-9 lbs. of boost on a heavilly modded 3100 running on 3.1 wiring and computer with an FFP chip. Just for right now though, i need a little more something to get me going.