turbo on a 3100?

phantomFE3

would you be able to bolt up a TGP exhaust/turbo setup on a 3100? or the 3.1 block with 3100 heads and intake? since the 3100 heads and intake flow better, wouldnt you have alot more power than the regular TGP engine? or would you have to do some fabrication with the exhaust manifolds?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• manitcor

• mfewtrail

• Dannymik

Top Posters In This Topic

3.1L has circular exhaust ports, and 3100 has D-shaped, so the manifolds wont bolt up. I dont think the downpipe will bolt up either. You'd have to use a TGP computer and 2-bar MAP sensor and a TGP oil pan or make a oil tube for the turbo.

I don't want to steer away from the topic, but I thought I read on one of the boards that the turbo setup on the TGP's works better on the 2.8's :shock: :? Is there any truth to that?

htere is a turbo 3100 done in a monte carlo but he eventually just swapped to a 3400, you can ask hi about the turbo setup he is on mymonte.com his name is Manitcor he is the site admin

Do a search on the TGP side of this for the posts from "Mick". He has a 3100 turbo in his Fiero, that has good solid piping. I remember he said there was NO chance for any leaks and that it was relitivly easy to do. I don't remember any of the specifics, I'm sorry. I don't even know if it would be something that would fit in a w-body engine bay, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck......

I had a turbo on my 3100 before I swapped up to the 3400, I was running 4-5psi every day for 6 months. Took the topend apart and everything was cherry. 2 weeks later I lost the engine to a leak in an oil line :evil: .

I will be boosting the 3400 eventually. I say go ahead and boost the 3100 but you dont neccassarily need parts from a TGP to make it work. A decent kit done with as many parts as you can pull from a yard could be done as cheap as 2gs.

what kind of turbo was it? I would guess you had the 4t60e tranny and how did that hold up? help me out by naming some of the parts you had to replace...thanks Dan

P.S. Do you have any pictures of the 3100 when it had the turbo?

pics can be found here:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=255930&page=4

my 4t60-e held up ok, after I lost the engine I mated a 3400 to the trans and its still running great. Though I didnt have that much power when I had the turbo the trans would sometimes slip out of gear in 1st or 2nd when I gave it too much gas.

I would reccomend building up your trans a bit as well as adding an LSD and big trans cooler, you may even want to upgrade your radiatior though its not really neccassary.. You dont have to change your internals as they will hold low boost ok. I would reccomend an FPR and some computer tuning if you can pull it off.

I used a T3/T4 hybrid with an intercooler as well as turbonetics BOV and wastegate venting to the atmosphere. I was running 4-5psi but had an intercooler and planned to take it further. It was the trans issues that kept me from giving it more. The pushrod 60v6 gets crazy torque under boost.

At 4psi I dynoed 171hp and 218tq from 134hp and 164tq NA

I'm actually a few months away from boost on my 3100. Where can i get my computer tuned at?

theres no real aftermarkt but being a 94 your ODB1 should be modifiable, hunt around and see if you can find someone messing with it. I know there are some people out there.

My ODB1.5 is crap so I plan on going with either an older odb1 computer or just getting a haltech system

Yeah, thats the thing. I would have to find someone local. One of my friends in the beretta community found a person that he thinks knows how to get rid of the governor. Hes gonna take an comp. into him to see if he can. I'll talk to him about reprogramming my comp. How much did it cost you to get it done? Would they do another one?

Yeah, thats the thing. I would have to find someone local. One of my friends in the beretta community found a person that he thinks knows how to get rid of the governor. Hes gonna take an comp. into him to see if he can. I'll talk to him about reprogramming my comp. How much did it cost you to get it done? Would they do another one?

I never redid my comp, you can run low boost 4-6psi maybe more safely on the stock computer though you will not get the most out of your boost. Beyond that you will need custom tuning to maximize your air/fuel ratio and your shift points.

Ah, got yah. Would an aftermarket boost controller help any?

not really, a boost controller does not help control the turbo or keep boost down, its not really neccassary until you get to higher stages of boost when you may want to switch between say a race boost like 14psi and a street boost like 9psi.

Guest TurboSedan

will the TGP crossover pipe bolt onto the 3x00 exhaust manifolds or would you have to do some fabrication to the original 3x00 crossover for the turbo flange? i know the factory TGP downpipe should work as long as the TGP T25 turbo is used and it's kept in the original location (or close).

also, has anyone used a grainger valve for boost control? my TGP engine is gettin' it along with a DSM 1g BOV. the 2.5 Intercooled Turbo in my GTS seemed to do great with this BOV and g-valve; hopefully i can get good results with the TGP engine too....

thanks

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
I'm actually a few months away from boost on my 3100. Where can i get my computer tuned at?

theres no real aftermarkt but being a 94 your ODB1 should be modifiable, hunt around and see if you can find someone messing with it. I know there are some people out there.

My ODB1.5 is crap so I plan on going with either an older odb1 computer or just getting a haltech system

you could also ditch the 3x00 SFI wiring harness & PCM and run the 3x00 engine on an OBD1 3.1 MPFI wiring harness & ECM with a custom TGP memcal?

Manticor - WOW you ran 4-6psi with the stock PCM and a 1-bar MAP sensor?!?!? did it ever lean out under boost? :shock: were you running full manifold pressure to the wastegate with this setup or did you have some other boost controller?

joshua

Wild this is exactly what I just started to do, lat weekend I picked up a 3100 from a 98' olds ($50) and have ripped it apart I just need time to get it to the machine shop. I plan to use the wiring and computer from the 3.1L and will be pulling the auto for a 5spd. I'm guessing it'll cost about $3000 to get the engine up and running not including the tranny.

pics can be found here:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=255930&page=4

my 4t60-e held up ok, after I lost the engine I mated a 3400 to the trans and its still running great. Though I didnt have that much power when I had the turbo the trans would sometimes slip out of gear in 1st or 2nd when I gave it too much gas.

I would reccomend building up your trans a bit as well as adding an LSD and big trans cooler, you may even want to upgrade your radiatior though its not really neccassary.. You dont have to change your internals as they will hold low boost ok. I would reccomend an FPR and some computer tuning if you can pull it off.

I used a T3/T4 hybrid with an intercooler as well as turbonetics BOV and wastegate venting to the atmosphere. I was running 4-5psi but had an intercooler and planned to take it further. It was the trans issues that kept me from giving it more. The pushrod 60v6 gets crazy torque under boost.

At 4psi I dynoed 171hp and 218tq from 134hp and 164tq NA

If I don't get a TGP in the future this posting has gave me some ideas for my 3100. The 3400 is noticeably quicker as I have an Alero in my driveway. Maybe I can do the swap :idea: . I looked for that information on the cardomain website, but I got lost in the mix. Do we have a good crossover pipe on these 3100's...maybe I should ask if we have one factory installed :oops: . I'm in the learning process here taking in stuff from this site and loving every minute of it. I would like to know track times for a turbo'd 3400...1/8 and 1/4. It sucks here in Buffalo, because our drag is only a 1/8 mile track.

you could also ditch the 3x00 SFI wiring harness & PCM and run the 3x00 engine on an OBD1 3.1 MPFI wiring harness & ECM with a custom TGP memcal?

Manticor - WOW you ran 4-6psi with the stock PCM and a 1-bar MAP sensor?!?!? did it ever lean out under boost? :shock: were you running full manifold pressure to the wastegate with this setup or did you have some other boost controller?

joshua

I had a turbonetics boost contorller, wastegate and bov. We never used the controller as the smallest possible spring that would fit the wastegate put it at about 4-5psi.

The fuel mixture was just fine for that amount of boost. These cars run pretty rich as it is. The car did run pretty damn hot in the summmer time though.

3400 and 3100 crossovers are swappable, crossovers from older 3.1L blocks I dont believe will fit. Sorry if my car domain is confusing a lot of the turbo stuff is gone off the site since I took it out. Pics of the turbo and the dyno sheet are at the bottom of the engine page.

Good good good. Good info. To tell you guys the truth, mine isn't gonna be a turbo, its a supercharger. But the boost and computer stuff isn't different from one to another. So basically I should be fine with my stock computer as long as its lower than 6 lbs. of boost. The fuel system should be fine too, right?

Good good good. Good info. To tell you guys the truth, mine isn't gonna be a turbo, its a supercharger. But the boost and computer stuff isn't different from one to another. So basically I should be fine with my stock computer as long as its lower than 6 lbs. of boost. The fuel system should be fine too, right?

yup no problem there, I was running stock injectors with a stock regulator and was fine. Ran plenty rich alot of the time actually.

What kind of SC are you looking at?