intern8tion9l

I can't say I've ever read about a problem like this, so I figured I'd post it up. The other day I took the car out for the first drive in months. About a mile down the road I heard a loud pop, as if someone threw a rock at the windshield very hard; it startled me. A few seconds later, smoke started pouring out of the HUD. Not like a puff of smoke like the turn signal indicator in the column, I mean it was coming out of the screen on top, out the tilt adjuster, out from around the cluster, everywhere. It lasted a good 30 seconds, I pulled over immediately and expected the car to be on fire. Eventually it stopped and I drove it home and disconnected the battery.

i pulled the thing apart and expected to see an obvious char mark where a wire grounded out or something, but no such thing. I don't remember what the insides usually look like color wise, but here's a couple pics. I think that black on the cover was always there? It didn't rub off on my hands.

in a related story, I need a new HUD

IMG_20140515_103832_691_zpswxzwkeu0.jpg

IMG_20140515_104423_417_zpsrrvadwsq.jpg

you would think with that much smoke, it would be obvious where it came from...... i'm wondering if it was from something else under the dash and that through the HUD was the easiest path for the smoke to travel?

i could be wrong, but on the right side of the 2nd pic, those two caps look really bulged? and the one furthest on the right looks like it may have vented?

I should have mentioned thE HUD stopped working during all of this. I gutted it and have been driving the car problem free, except for the fact that I have no idea how fast I'm going now

you know, i do rebuild those clusters at what i think is a more than reasonable price..... i'm sure that's better than trying to talk your way out of a ticket because of faulty equipment should you underestimate your speed near law enforcement.

i could be wrong, but on the right side of the 2nd pic, those two caps look really bulged? and the one furthest on the right looks like it may have vented?

It does indeed look like that happened. Forget my last post. I'd say that is probably the cause. You could try replacing those caps or just get another HUD.

I probably have a spare or 5. All my stuff is packed uo for my move so it will be a little while before I could get one in the mail

I pulled a tan one out of a parts car I had. I saw it in the garage somewhere the other day, but it's real dirty. If it's needed for parts though.. let me know.

you know, i do rebuild those clusters at what i think is a more than reasonable price..... i'm sure that's better than trying to talk your way out of a ticket because of faulty equipment should you underestimate your speed near law enforcement.

its been on my list of things to do since I got this car, and Jarek keeps reminding me

I'm not going to try to repair that board, I'll replace it or the entire unit. Whoever wants to sell me something first!

its been on my list of things to do since I got this car, and Jarek keeps reminding me

I'm not going to try to repair that board, I'll replace it or the entire unit. Whoever wants to sell me something first!

caps are super cheap and easy to deal with, assuming that is all that is wrong with it. if you decide to send the cluster out and the board(or entire HUD unit) makes its way into the box, the ~$.10 and 5 minutes it would cost me for replacement caps(assuming i have identical spec'd ones on-hand) wouldn't bother me if it still didn't work afterwards.

Those caps are most likely the only issue with it. If that one on the right is opened up, it was very likely the cause of the smoke you witnessed. Solder some in and get that HUD back in business or take Saar up on his offer to do it for you.