Stuff to look for in a Grand Prix GTP

zjwflippers

Tomorrow I'm looking at my first car. It's a 1997 Grand Prix GTP 4 door, it has 144,000 miles, and appears to be stock. So my question is, should I be looking for anything in particular about the car? I know I should ask the last time the supercharger oil was changed (It's supposed to be every 30,000 miles, right?) and they use 91 Octane so I should ask if that's what he has been putting it in there, but is there anything else I should ask about? Thanks -Zach

Welcome. Those are some good fun cars.

Common stuff to check.

1. Rear strut towers check for signs of rust or bad previous repair work.

2. Less common on 97+ cars is trailing arm mount failure, but check to make sure the arms are not bent.

3. Rock pannel rust. If it has holes, or big pieces missing you may want to walk. Look at the lower body trim and see if it is sagging. Sag means hidden rust.

4. The coolant elbow by the ALT. check for leaks. Not a big deal if they are replacements are cheap and easy to replace.

5. Valve coves look for leaks both front and back. If they are leaking that is something to replace very SOON and NOT later.

6. HUD look at it to make sure it's nice a bright.

7. Radio clock can go dim or burnt out. It's an easy fix.

Front sway bar can crack, check it.

Check the trans, make sure it is shifting good.

As long as the supercharger fluid is full it's probably fine. You may want to change it. I think it's every 50k miles to change it. My car is nearing 100k and the fluid has been changed twice in it.

The rest just check it as any other car.

Welcome. Those are some good fun cars.

Common stuff to check.

1. Rear strut towers check for signs of rust or bad previous repair work.

2. Less common on 97+ cars is trailing arm mount failure, but check to make sure the arms are not bent.

3. Rock pannel rust. If it has holes, or big pieces missing you may want to walk. Look at the lower body trim and see if it is sagging. Sag means hidden rust.

4. The coolant elbow by the ALT. check for leaks. Not a big deal if they are replacements are cheap and easy to replace.

5. Valve coves look for leaks both front and back. If they are leaking that is something to replace very SOON and NOT later.

6. HUD look at it to make sure it's nice a bright.

7. Radio clock can go dim or burnt out. It's an easy fix.

Front sway bar can crack, check it.

Check the trans, make sure it is shifting good.

As long as the supercharger fluid is full it's probably fine. You may want to change it. I think it's every 50k miles to change it. My car is nearing 100k and the fluid has been changed twice in it.

The rest just check it as any other car.

Thanks, yeah I pretty much looked for the fastest American car I could get for about $3000 haha. I would have liked a coupe but this one is $2000 with no major rust, and I think I can work him down to $1750. I'll hopefully add a 3.4" pulley later on too. Sick of all the Civic Si's at my school, wanted something American and this should fit the bill.