Front Struts

Redpine

Hi,

Last fall before putting my '94 Convertible (90,000 miles) away for the winter, I installed new Gabriel strut cartridges in the front and KYB's in the back, I used the Gabriel's because they came with the car. Car seemed to ride smooth, I didn't put many miles on but seemed much improved over originals.

moved the car to a new storage facility last week, 200 mile drive, every time I hit a pot hole or bump, the car seemed to bottom out and really rattled the dash, was smooth on the highway. Are the Gabriel's that bad, should I just replace them or look for other issues?

Thanks for any comments,

Dan

Welcome fellow MN'er. The potholes are terrible here in MN and will make any car rattle and feel like it's bottoming out. Lift the car up and do a visual check and shakedown before condemning the struts.

You can do a test. Find level flat surface and pick a spot on the trim to measure from(must be the same spot for both sides) get some one to help you lift the front as high as you can, measure, then push the car down as much as you can, measure. Measurements should be within 1/2 inch. If the difference is greater inspect control arms and struts for wear. This is called an excessive friction test.

~Page 3D-2 Olds 1994 Cutlass Supreme Service manual.

I would also look at the strut mounts, rear mono-leaf and both sway bars, `Verts should have a rear one.