(Fixed) Turn key, temp gauge spikes to max ('94 supreme)

PTAaron

('94 Cutlass Supreme3.1L engine)

I'm dealing with bigger issues at the moment determining if my head gasket is blown or not, but this is something I'd prefer to fix while I have things apart:

Last weekend car overheated. After cooling down the temp gauge still reads maxed out when the key is turned to the run position. It drops back down to the "cold" needle position when power is off. Does not matter if car is running or not - as soon as power goes to the instrument cluster the needle spikes.

I replaced the coolant sensor near the thermostat last night - thinking that was the problem, but that wasn't it.

What is my next thing to investigate?

Edited by PTAaron

you have a 1-wire temp sender that is in the head(i want to say the front head), has a unique connector that just slips on and off.

if it were to fall off, it should read absolute minimum on the guage. if the wire for it were connected to ground somewhere, that will force it to read maximum.

so, if you don't have harness issues, you have a sender issue.

I'll check the wire... unless they sold me a defective sender that shouldn't be it. Hrm.

Guess I'll try it with the harness disconnected and see what it does.

which sensor did you replace?

1T1060.jpg

one that looks like that is what drives the dash guage. single, permanantly attached wire, always green.

1H8.jpg

that is the one the PCM uses for its purposes. two-wire, connector plugs directly into it, rather than a pigtail like the single-wire.

which sensor did you replace?

1T1060.jpg

one that looks like that is what drives the dash guage. single, permanantly attached wire, always green.

1H8.jpg

that is the one the PCM uses for its purposes. two-wire, connector plugs directly into it, rather than a pigtail like the single-wire.

Option 2.

Damn.

We just ran across option one on the manifold and said "hey I bet that goes to the temp gauge."

FYI: If you throw the sender unit at the ground with enough force it breaks into 3 pieces.

We had a hell of a time getting the sensor out - so accidentally flew across the garage once it finally came out. :lol:

theres a TSB on 92-95 cutlass and other 3.1 cars that is for Temp gauge not reading correct temp of engine..its a wiring harness kit to go from the 2 wire coolant temp sensor and the 1 wire (green wire) temp sensor to the 3 wire coolant temp sensor.. you can check out the info I found by link below.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/37jd6-95-olds-cutlass-supreme-sl-temp-gauge-gauge-goes-temp-sensor-tsb.html

Thanks for the info.

Replacing the single wire sensor/sender fixed the problem. Turns out I had mistakenly believed that the 2 wire sensor was also the gauge sender. I've got a lot to learn with these cars.