What transmissions can interchange with the 1994 Cutlass Supreme with an LQ1?

Nas Escobar

I have another thread that talks about my trans issues, but as of now I don't know what it can be. It's in the powertrain section.

Anyways, since I don't know what exactly it is, I'm going to assume I have to do a trans swap until I get time to have my car checked out by the village idiot... and yes I'm referring to the incompetent mechanics in my area who never seem to know what the fuck an Oldsmobile is.... much less a car on a GM W chassis.

Before I sidetrack, I want to know, what transmissions can interchange with the 1994 Cutlass Supreme with an LQ1 engine?

Does OBDII play any roles in what I can and cannot swap, or are they interchangable? Remember, I'm not doing the swap, the village idiot is so it has to be plug and play.

Did the other W bodies with the LQ1 have different gearings, or are they all the same?

Anyways all help is appreciated.

Side note: Anyone in the DC area know a competent mechanic? I know there's a guy here that lives in Northern VA that owns a Celebrity and a Lumina, but I don't seem him around as much.

Last I checked, for the 4T60-E's there were 6 versions.

1991-1993 CHEVY (3.1, 3.4 DOHC)

1991-1993 CADDY (4.5 and 4.9)

1991-1993 BUICK (3800)

1994-1997 CHEVY (3100, 3.4 DOCH til 1996, the 1997 DOHC was a 4T65-E)

1994-1996 CADDY (4.9 I think 1996 was the last year you could get a 4.9 in a caddy before being replaced with the 4.6 Northstar. If they had a 1997 4.9, I don't know what transmission it would have had)

1994-1996 or 1997 BUICK (3800).

There is also a RARE 1993 Cutlass Supreme with a 3100. I am not sure which Version of the Transmission it got, but It was most likely the 1994-1997 CHEVY one.

Differences are internal. the QDM's in the ECM/PCM that controls them are different between the 3 engine brands, so when trying to interchange.

If you want PLUG N PLAY, you need specifics, otherwise, you have to crack open the sides, and swap out the valve bodies, and wiring.

Not sure if people have found ways around them. My information is several years out of date from my foray into Lincoln Land.

I figured the trans are different the same way the 4T65-E was mounted in almost everything they built, but has different gear ratios and connections.

Anyways, if what I understand is correct, I can swap a 3.1 or 3.4 trans from the W's but not a Buick nor a Cadillac one?

Are the 4T60-E's car specific or did they all have the same gear ratio with the 3.1, 3100, and 3.4 DOHC? I know the Grand Am had 2 different transmission gear ratios even though the engine was the same (3400). This of course was a 4T45-E IIRC... I know other cars had this as well, so I wouldn't want to risk getting a 96 Monte Carlo trans with an odd gear ratio.

Sweet!! I was a bit scared they changed gear ratios in each car with the 3.4.

Now as far as the 1996 transmission... is there any difference with the one from 1994-1995?