General question/idea I have about my DRLs, '06 Grand Prix

tornado_735

This might be petty, but I don't like how my DRLs run off the low beam headlights. I don't like how short the life span of the lightbulbs are, plus if I want to run a better-than-stock bulb (Silverstars or what have you), I don't want to them to burn out so fast.

I know on the '04s (and maybe '05s), the turn signal bulbs are utilized as the DRLs and I like the way that looks better anyway.

Would replacing the DRL module with one from an older GP shift the DRLs from the low beams to the turn signals?

Thanks to anyone with any clues.

i'm looking at the diagrams for the 04..... DRL function is run by the BCM, circuit description says it is done via turn signals. 05 is the same.

06 and 07 are also stating turn signal being used?

alldata didn't specify between fog/no-fog, so i assume it shouldn't matter. the only differences are when it is 3800 vs LS4. why those need different diagrams, i don't know yet.

i'm even lost. alldata is stating the 04-07 cars that i checked use turn signals as DRLs, but the diagrams don't necessary agree with the statement.

are the front turn signals/parking lights on with the headlamps for DRL?

No. The low beams are on at reduced intensity during the day. If I turn the parking lamps on, the DRLs go out.

I may have uncovered a piece of the puzzle. While looking at DRL modules on Rockauto, the 2004 only shows one as being available:

2004 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 3.8L V6 : Electrical : Daytime Running Light Module

ACDELCO Part # 15837063 SENSOR,DAYTIME RUNNING LP AMB LGT (RPO C67)

Then this:

2006 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 3.8L V6 : Electrical : Daytime Running Light Module

ACDELCO Part # 15837063

SENSOR,DAYTIME RUNNING LP AMB LGT w/A/C FRT ELEC CONT(C67)

ACDELCO Part # 25713063

SENSOR,DAYTIME RUNNING LP AMB LGT w/A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2) [TABLE=class: main]

[TR=class: part0]

[/TR]

[TR=class: part0]

[/TR]

[TR=class: part1]

[TD=class: alternate1][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I ran a compnine on the Grand Prix, and guess which RPO I have?

CJ2 HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, AUTO TEMP CONT, AUX TEMP CONT A/C FRT AUTO/AUX CONT(CJ2)

I'm not exactly sure what the auto climate control has to do with the DRL module.....

I asked a guy I work with, and he said it's all controlled through the BCM, and I am liable to have problems if I screw around with the DRL module. Hmm...I'd hate to disable the DRLs entirely.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk

You mentioned the low beams are on at a "reduced intensity". Does the bulb have dual filaments? Or does the headlight housing have a separate bulb? If yes, it also has a separate wire which could in theory be rerouted to turn signals.

You mentioned the low beams are on at a "reduced intensity". Does the bulb have dual filaments? Or does the headlight housing have a separate bulb? If yes, it also has a separate wire which could in theory be rerouted to turn signals.

The DRLs use the low beam bulbs, at about 80% of their maximum brightness. I assume they're run at a lower voltage.

Ah, fully electronically controlled. DAMN YOU TECHNOLOGY... wheelchair

Aside from swapping out the DRL module for an earlier one I could not think of anything else. Plus, your buddy might be right. It would probably end up causing some wacky things to happen. I don't suppose there's any data on what exactly the DRL module is wired into besides lights?? If it's just those lights and you can determine how it works I don't see a problem with swappin... Definitely a stumper :think: