'89 GP Turbo: Gauges Question

bluegp

As far as I can tell, the '89 Turbo had the '90-'93 style instrument cluster with the '88-'89 style headlight & wiper switch pods. Did the pods still include the buttons meant for the digital dash (odo/trip, trip reset, eng/met)?

Nope. The trip reset is the traditional skinny button sticking out of the gauge cluster itself right next to the counter. The pods only had the wiper functions on one side, and the lighting functions (including twilight sentenial if so equipped) on the other. The only thing I hate about the TGP gauge cluster is they replaced the volts gauge with the turbo boost gauge. I think it was more than fesible for them to have found a spot for a volts gauge. :x

Now, here is a pic I found a while back. I can't remember where I got it and I can't seem to find any others of the '89 Turbo dash. It is a Turbo cluster - you can see the boost gauge and the "premium" unleaded fuel label (non-turbo cluster didn't say "premium"). You can also see the met/eng switch below the wiper controls. Too bad the other side is blocked; I'd like to know if it has the trip/odo & trip reset. Maybe the wiper switch pod was replaced at one point?

fa935c3a.jpg

It's ironic that the model with the most electronics is the one with no volts gauge.

True..but half the people that bought TGPs new probably didn't know how to read the gauge anyway.... :roll:

That GP in the picture is an 89.....and most likely an EARLY 89 model. They had the push reset button sticking out of the cluster...as hyeboy pointed out. Some models did have some HUD related buttons (for switching between standard & metric)..but NONE of them had digital dash related buttons.

They had the push reset button sticking out of the cluster...as hyeboy pointed out. Some models did have some HUD related buttons (for switching between standard & metric)..but NONE of them had digital dash related buttons.

I know all about the trip reset on the '90-'93 cluster. That met/eng switch in the photo is for the digital dash. So, you're saying that maybe on that car it is used for the HUD? I didn't realize that could be possibility.

What trying to get at, with this topic, is if those switch pods came without the digital dash switches, I could try to find some to use on my car when I change the digital cluster to the analog one. I do know about the '90-'93 switch pods -- I just prefer the '88-'89 style ones.

If anybody has some photos of a '89 Turbo dash, I'd like to see them.