Steam billowing from hood vents = stuck at school.

kiwi133

So yeah, on my way to school a coolant line directly over the x-over busted, which made for a fun smelly show as I was tearing around trying to get to the parkinglot so I could shut her down.

Only got a quick look at where it was comeing from before I had to get to class (left it in the lot with steam still rolling out of the vents :lol: )

The pipe at the rear top of the engine bay with the bleeder valve, turns into a rubber hose which goes down a bit, and then turns into a metal pipe again. The metal pipe was attached to (i think the throttle body, can't remeber now) with a threaded coupleing of some kind.

It appeared to be leaking from this coupleing.

So my question is, how is this coupleing sealed? O-ring maybe? didn't look like it could have a gasket. Or do I need to get a new little metal pipe (if so whats the part number)?

Swift responces appreciated!

What you need is called a 'nipple' it is the metal piece that the line plugs into. It will come with new quick connect (plastic) fittings. It was less than $20 CDN at the GM Dealer.

For a quick fix, I put a shitload of RTV around where the hose connects into this nipple and it held for a while.

So this metal "nipple" attaches to the engine how?

And is the nipple what goes bad? or is it these plastic fittings?

Is it the plastic parts that seal it then?

And why can't GM just use an f-ing hose and hose clamp :x

Thanks!

edit: hmmm, actually if that nipple isn't the part that fails, and its long enough, think I could just clamp some hose on it?

this 'nipple' is the threaded coupling you mentioned in your original post. It is the plastic fittings that are inside this nipple that go bad. It is the role of these plastic fittings to hold the metal pipe in the nipple.

I'm sure you could jimmy it somehow if you put your mind to it, but at less than $20 CDN for the nipple and plastic fittings, I personally wouldn't bother.

FUCK! I HATE THIS SHIT, GM CAN SUCK IT DUMB POS ASSHOLES, HOW MUCH OF THIS FUCKING CAR DID THEY MAKE OUT OF POT METAL?

I'M TRYING TO TITTY TWISTER THAT FUCKING NIPPLE OUT OF THERE AND THE SOB BREAKS THE FUCK OFF. I DON'T NEED THIS SHIT NOW, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING MATH PHYSICS AND OTHER SCHOOLWORK. INSTEAD I'M BREAKING MY BACK AND WASTING TIME BECAUSE GM CARS ARE MADE OF POT METAL AND STUPID FUCKING PLASTIC CLIPS! I DON'T KNOW IF I'LL FUCKING COME OUT OF THIS ALIVE AS A DOMESTIC DUDE. I HAVE DONE NOTHING BUT CARE FOR THAT CAR AND ITS STUCK ME FOR MORE THAN $4000 AND MORE TIME THAN I WANT TO THINK ABOUT. HELL, ITS EVEN BEEN THE MOST RELIABLE GM CAR IN MY FAMILY! THATS JUST WRONG. FUCKING SHIT! HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO GET TO SCHOOL TOMORROW? KISS MY ASS GM :evil:

About 1/8" minus a chunk that literally crumbled off when i tried to get a hold of it again. Thats when i came in and went all caps lock.

Sigh, well folks, that was it, that just broke me. I'm gonna buy a brand new econobox for myself. Keep the z around till I have time to tear into the engine a bit, fix it, then sell it.

I can do without power, and I can deal with my car not being one of a kind.

Good mileage, reliability, new engineering, new car smell, functional interior, zippy handleing, being able to care for a car since new with no one before me to screw it up. These are powerful arguments towards my decision. Not to mention, if anyone from efi remembers, twice before i have gone on a hateing my car spree. The second time took me all the way to test drives before i stopped myself. No way I'm stopping now, I don't even care that it will be expensive. I'll just work hard on getting more scholorships. I don't expect that I'll be on here again till I come with pics of my new car, whenever that is. No ricein it out either.

Thanks for all the help, I doubt I'll ever find as knowledgable a message board as w-body

See ya

I just fixed mine saturday, but mine didnt break upon removal thanks god, i used a 2 dollar 1/2 npt hose nipple designed as a universal heater hose nipple, and one foot of high temp heater hose + 2 hose clamps.......worked great cost 5 dollars and will never leak like that mickey mouse quick connect, the worm drive clamp under the throttle body had to be oriented b4 being put on so it would be accessable for tightn ing, towards the firewall on the botton worked fine with a 1/4 drive ratchet

Kiwi i thing you could easily get that out, drive an allen wrench into the remianing piece and turn it out, or get an easy out designed for broke off spark plugs, it looks like a tapered 4 side knife 4 sharp endges with a good taper to bite into the metal and get it right out.

That happened to my Lumina when I was heading back after lunch. I stopped at a busy stop sign and steam just POURED from the hood.. I took off really quick and parked and walked into the school. Everyone kept coming up and telling me my car was on fire. Fun times.

when i got my altinator done i took it to a dealer. i know big mistake cost me 500bux total but they fix some things i wouldnt have cought. that cooling line you speak of mine was leaking and they replaced the whole metal piping and some other lines.

so in a way it does pay to take it to a good dealer and pay a few 100 more + i dont have to worry about breaking stuff myself + my hands arent cutup and brused. lol

same deal i took it in for timing another 500 dollor job but they also fixed my idler pullon and my serpintine belt was about to go. which remindes me. This dealership Owns a Z34!!! its got hella low miles and a 5-speed!! its gray and they show it off in the grage every now and then.. other times they put a z06 vett in that spot. Next time i stop by i will ask about it.

About 1/8" minus a chunk that literally crumbled off when i tried to get a hold of it again. Thats when i came in and went all caps lock.

Sigh, well folks, that was it, that just broke me. I'm gonna buy a brand new econobox for myself. Keep the z around till I have time to tear into the engine a bit, fix it, then sell it.

Good mileage, reliability, new engineering, new car smell, functional interior, zippy handleing, being able to care for a car since new with no one before me to screw it up. These are powerful arguments towards my decision. Not to mention, if anyone from efi remembers, twice before i have gone on a hateing my car spree. The second time took me all the way to test drives before i stopped myself. No way I'm stopping now, I don't even care that it will be expensive. I'll just work hard on getting more scholorships. I don't expect that I'll be on here again till I come with pics of my new car, whenever that is. No ricein it out either.

Thanks for all the help, I doubt I'll ever find as knowledgable a message board as w-body

See ya

same story here... i am now the proud (!?!?!?) owner of a 93 tercel. The car looks like shit but i have spent $0 for repairs since I got it 5 months ago and it only costs me $25 can / week for gas and i have to drive 60km's to get back and forth from work every day! Of course i still have the cutty and i don't think i could ever sell it. Just hope i have enough money in th next year or two to fix it all up!

See ya

:cry: Bummer about the Car Man ... I can relate that's why I have a truck as well just in case , fingers crossed -- Hope you can fix it sometime ...

Peace Mark .... :?