Need help/instructions on replacing and installing a new radio into my 05 Pontiac GP?

Pickle_Jr

I have never done anything manual that had to deal with cars. I've always had someone else do something for me or just took it to a shop to do it. I've never had anybod to teach me about cars. Well this summer I've saved up for a new stereo. I have decided I will attempt to replace the stock stereo in my car. I think I have a general Idea;

• Figure out how to take off the dash to my current stereo.
  • Take out said stereo.
  • Plug in harness to where old stereo used to be plugged into.
  • Take the wires that came with new stereo, and pair them color coordinately with the wires on the harness.
  • Plug in antenna adaptar.
  • Plug in new stereo finally (should be one unused wire that'd plug into old stereo but not necessary for new stereo)
  • Put everything back together.

I two main things to ask before I go out and start working.

1. Do i have the general instructions on this right? Or am I missing something/Something needs to be changed?

2. I understand the Grand Prix's have a security system called passlock or something, and if I take out my current, old, stereo, then the stereo will be bricked and not work. Is this true? if so how do you turn off passlock momentarily so I can start working on replacing it? I don't want to brick my old stereo because, eventually, I'm going to want to put back in the old stereo in a couple of years or so when I want to sell my current car.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Looks good to me. My Grand Prix is 10 years older than yours so i cant tell you exactly how its done, but looks like you get the gist of it. Buy something cheap on Crutchfield.com and enter your car and they give you a super handy master sheet that gets into the exact specifics for what nuts and bolts you need to remove on your car's interior. And no, they aren't paying me to say that. :lol:

it also shows how to do your door and rear speakers if you ever choose to change those too. Super handy. Youtube is also your friend.

Easier to do wire connections off the car then plug into harness. As far as stereo being "bricked", there are no worries on an 05, unless you intend to install some sort of stock radio upgrade then you have to have the radio programmed to your car, at dealership or someone with a Tech 2 tool. Aftermarket radio should be no problem as long as you use the proper adapter harness.

You will need to tap the aftermarket's switched/accessory voltage wire to a circuit in the vehicle of similar power modality.

2005 Grand Prix factory radios do not operate on the traditional switched voltage to turn on. They use GM's proprietary Class 2 Data system.

You will need to tap the aftermarket's switched/accessory voltage wire to a circuit in the vehicle of similar power modality.

2005 Grand Prix factory radios do not operate on the traditional switched voltage to turn on. They use GM's proprietary Class 2 Data system.

If you get the proper adapter then this is not necessary, the adapter will give you the proper 12v signal you will need to power the radio.