Just bought a 96 Grand Prix. New to the site

96_GP.SE

Hey guys. I'm Trent John. 18 years old. And recently just bought my first w body. I found my 1996 Grand Prix with 145,000 miles on Craigslist for 1000 or best offer. Started talking and found out LIM and head gaskets were just about gone. Coolant just poured out the motor as you poured it in. But the car still ran surprisingly well. After checking out the car. I asked the guy what his price was. He told me give him a offer and I started low thinking he would work it up a bit. I walked out with my first w body for $150! The air condition system was recently changed before I got the car. Including New tires. New plugs. Air filter. Battery. Power steering hoses. And a couple other things I can think of at the moment. He sunk some money into it. Well anyways, I got it home. And found out the coolant was pouring into cylinder 2. And that the LIM gaskets have been changed before. But all of the bolts weren't tightened down, weren't even hand tight. figures. Pulled the heads off. Sent them to get checked. Both heads were great. Surprisingly, No warping or anything. Changed the head gaskets. Put the LIM back on with the metal fel-pro gasket set. Finished putting the motor together. Changed the oil. Flushed the cooling system. And she fired right up.

Trying to upload pics from my phone right now but its being stupid. Lol.

as far as the rust goes, there's not too much. Under the driver side tail light inside the trunk its got a little rust and the passenger quarter has some rust also. The underneath of the car is in very good condition. I put it on the lift at work the other day and there was a very small amount of rust right up around the inside of the rear bumper cover. It was maybe the size of a baseball in diameter. And was just surface rust. It didn't dig into the metal as far as i could tell. I hit it with some sandpaper and put a bit of rust converter on it. Should help it from spreading any further.

pics should be up very soon!