Repairing stock system.... multiple issues

Night Fury

I believe that the better sound you describe is from the increased RMS of the newer advanced ETRs, such as one from a 1993 Buick. I noticed a stark difference in volume between an older receiver with DNR and the newer ones. They look slightly different too.

By the way, the old DNR receivers have nothing to do with Dolby. DNR is National Semiconductor's patented Dynamic Noise Reduction. DNR works differently from Dolby Noise Reduction in that it is not dependent upon an encoding/decoding system. Rather, DNR can work on radio broadcasts, CDs, and cassettes.

By the way, the old DNR receivers have nothing to do with Dolby. DNR is National Semiconductor's patented Dynamic Noise Reduction. DNR works differently from Dolby Noise Reduction in that it is not dependent upon an encoding/decoding system. Rather, DNR can work on radio broadcasts, CDs, and cassettes.

Interesting, learn something new everyday!

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the amp with a Buick one thanks to Jay, PRESTO!!! PROBLEM SOLVED! Boy do I wish I did this earlier, 5 screws to get the glovebox out, then 2 10mm nuts for the amp.

I HAS CLEAR RADIO NOW!!!

Now to fix the cassette player so I don't have to hit FF or RR to listen to the radio lol

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to hear you installed a good amp! If I had known just how to get the amp out of a 88-89 GP, we could have fixed it that day you stopped by my house in Wisconsin. :D I have a couple of those amps at my house. I have a few 90-93 Buick/Pontiac radios and they use that same amp.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have the same problem with my 1991 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo. It has the Visual Information Center (touch screen) that controls the radio. I know that the radio receiver is under the center console and this is where the speakers are all connected to. Also the antenna cable is plugged into it also. Then that unit is under the center console is plugged into the Visual Information Center.

I have replaced the alternator, spark plugs and wires, tried a different antenna and still have ignition noise and very poor radio reception.

I was just curious if anyone would happen to know where I might find a new radio receiver box? Or which different car models use the same one as mine?

Thanks and please reply! I am at my wits end with this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and hope to hear from someone soon!!!

Revrip1

Hello,

I have the same problem with my 1991 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo. It has the Visual Information Center (touch screen) that controls the radio. I know that the radio receiver is under the center console and this is where the speakers are all connected to. Also the antenna cable is plugged into it also. Then that unit is under the center console is plugged into the Visual Information Center.

I have replaced the alternator, spark plugs and wires, tried a different antenna and still have ignition noise and very poor radio reception.

I was just curious if anyone would happen to know where I might find a new radio receiver box? Or which different car models use the same one as mine?

Thanks and please reply! I am at my wits end with this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and hope to hear from someone soon!!!

Revrip1

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but even thouygh it's not a w body, you need to post up some pics of that beauty :wink:

Hello,

Yeah my 1991 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo has the exact same problem. Whining and static in the radio. It also has poor radio reception. I have replaced the alternator, spark plugs and plug wires. I also tried a different antenna and it still has the same issues.

So my question is where do I find a new radio receiver box? My car has the Visual Information Center(touch screen display) that controls the radio. The radio receiver is under the center console and is connected to the Visual Information Center(touch screen display). I just need to know if there are any other cars that might use the same radio receiver box or where I might be able to get another one for my car?

Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon,

Revrip1