90 Lumina - Rear Driver side caliper......seizing AGAIN!

MReichle

Perhaps I should scroll thru all of the threads pertaining to brakes, but I'm about at wits end and I'm looking for an answer to what seems to be an age-old problem!

In the past 2-3 years, I've put rebuilt calipers and new pads and discs on the rear of my 90 Lumina, 3 times. Fortunately, the parts have a lifetime warranty and I get them free.... (but now I wonder... "just how convenient is that"?!!)

The last time I replaced them was in the middle of December of 2011. Now with approx 8250 miles on them, like clock-work, the driver side rear caliper is beginning to seize again!

Does anyone know how I might be able to prevent this from happening again?

I wonder if the disc may be expanding when it heats up (cheap Chinese part??) causing the problem, or if it's a lousy caliper rebuild job??

I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue and how they remedied it!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Also depends on how frequently you take it apart to lube up the slides and such.

type of lube is also very important. from what i'm seeing, silicone brake lube seems to be highly recommended. i've seen "ceramic" suggested as well, but no experience with it.

Upgrade to the 94+ rear brakes on first gens. Simple and easy to do. There is probably a couple threads about it. The 94+ calipers don't seize up like the 88-93 ones do. The only problem with the swap is the parking brake cable isn't a exact it. It takes a bit of modding to get it work.

I went through that same song and dance for years, then I ripped it all off and put the later 94 up rear brakes on.

Its usually the crappy sliders... for some reason they seem really susceptible to getting corroded. I never figured out why. maybe seal the boots with RTV after re-lubing them.

I use the parking brake whenever the vehicle is parked...I thought that by using that mechanism regularly, it wouldn't seize as much...but I'm not convinced that the PB is at issue.

I'll look into the 94+ calipers...at this rate they'll be cheaper and "less labor involved" in the long run. Seems when the weather changes the problems start...I hate working in the cold! I wonder if the parking brake lever(s) could be swapped from the 90 calipers to the 94+ calipers to make the PB cable fit properly?? Definitely worth a look-see. Thanks!!