The "Monsoon" Dilema...

Starflare5

Hey there guys,

I wanted to write something to you all about what to expect if you want to add a factory amp to your audio system and advise over the differences between Delco and Monsoon amplifiers. First of all, if you want to add a factory amplifier to your existing system, I recommend the Delco Electronics amplifier found in 97-2002 Buicks, Firebirds, and Cameros. These amps will ususually come in an all black shell just like the Monsoon amps, but will actually say "Delco Electronics" on them and are usually indicated by a 161***** or 162****** Model designation. These particular amps are 9 channel amplifiers and have better wire designations for the rear speakers if you are using separate midrange and subwoofer speakers. These amps will also have a blue port on the side. Monsoon Amplifiers have rear tweeter and rear mid-woofer designations and usually have 8 channels. Both types of amplifiers have the same speaker inputs and front audio output designations. Most Monsoon amplifiers are indicated by a 22******* model number designation. These amps will have a black port on the side.

These different rear audio designations can cause issues with different configurations. For example, in the case of my system, I cannot use a Monsoon amplifier for I have rear deck single input 2 way speakers, and a separate bass gain amplifier with subwoofers at the other end of it and hidden in the rear seat back. Because I have rear midrange and bass speakers, it is not a good thing for me to use an actual Monsoon amp.

Another key difference between these amplifier types is the way they power on. The Delco Electronics amps power on by way of sound signal. In other words, the amplifier automatically turns on anytime there is power and/or sound sent out from the head unit. Most Monsoon amplifiers are powered on by the actual Amp Turn On wire.

There are rare both Delco Electronics and Monsoon amplifiers indicated by a 093***** model designation. These particular amps are designed with up to 10 channels and both types have similar speaker designations both front and rear. These amps will also have a blue port on the side. These amplifiers are particularly why some people think that the both the Delco Electronics amplifiers, and the Monsoon amplifiers are the same type and kind when not all are created equal.

I hope this helps some of you that have considered adding a factory amp to your vehicle. I have pinouts for the aformentioed amplifiers if anyone need them.

Thank you,

Starflare5.

Edited by Starflare5

• 1 month later...

Some of the Cutlasses have amplifiers in them already. How they are wired and where they are located depends on the year.

My '92 SL coupe was pre-wired for the factory amplifier and the "Audio Bass Control" slider. I've gotta say, for such a small amplifier, it sounds pretty good.

Speaking of Monsoon amplifiers, I have added a Monsoon amplifier from a 1997 Firebird to my 1992 Grand Prix coupe. I did so using the year-correct Delco AM/FM CD head unit. The amplifier powers on as it should and the system works perfectly, and it sounds WAY better than the original six-speaker UW4 setup did.

Edited by 1992GrandPrixSE