GP Car Audio iPod adapter

TeeJay3800

My friend wants to play their iPod Touch through their car stereo. It's a stock 2007 GP (not sure on the model....there's no "GT" by the tail lights, but it does have dual exhaust, allow wheels, leather interior). It has the Monsoon sound system with the steering wheel controls. I'm considering getting them THIS adapter kit.

My question is, since I don't have the car available to me at the moment, is that kit compatible with that model GP? Or is there a something different I should buy to interface an iPod with the car stereo?

EDIT: there's also THIS ONE, but that seems more "invasive" since it interfaces with the OBD connector port. It also seems a lot less popular and is lower rated.

Edited by TeeJay3800

The first one you listed is a universal wired FM modulated Ipod piece. If you went this route you will also need 2 antenna adapters. Metra part #s are 40-GM10 and 40-GM20. With this piece you will need to tune to a FM station to get audio from the ipod. Since it is wired and not wireless the sound quality will be pretty good, you wont have the issues you get with the wireless ones. You will need to wire in a switch somewhere to turn this unit off when you want to listen to the regular radio.

The second one you listed is not compatible with the Monsoon system because it is a "signal sensing" amplified system. http://www.isimplesolutions.com/bestbuy/product.aspx?productid=1073

The first one you listed is a universal wired FM modulated Ipod piece. If you went this route you will also need 2 antenna adapters. Metra part #s are 40-GM10 and 40-GM20. With this piece you will need to tune to a FM station to get audio from the ipod. Since it is wired and not wireless the sound quality will be pretty good, you wont have the issues you get with the wireless ones. You will need to wire in a switch somewhere to turn this unit off when you want to listen to the regular radio.

The second one you listed is not compatible with the Monsoon system because it is a "signal sensing" amplified system. http://www.isimplesolutions.com/bestbuy/product.aspx?productid=1073

Thanks for the information! Since you seem especially knowledgeable with this stuff, do you have a particular product you can recommend for me needs? All I want to do is run the iPod's audio through the car's sound system in the easiest way possible. I'll admit I have no experience with this and in fact have never owned an iPod. :o Any help you can provide is appreciated!

The iSimple IS77, the first one you listed, will work just fine for what you need. There is likely not much else available since its the Monsoon system. We install these at my work and have had no issues, its a quality piece.

Couple questions real quick. The total BB cost was $130, but I noticed the receipt broke down the cost into $90 for the unit itself and $50 for "iPod installation". I suppose that means I can get it installed at BB for no additional cost?

Also, does this adapter being installed have any effect on the steering wheel audio controls?

Yes, I had been planning on doing it myself, but if the purchase includes "professional" installation, I might as well take advantage of that. The strange thing is if I hadn't looked at the receipt closely, I never would have known installation was part of the purchase price. It seems like the cashier should have at least mentioned it or something.

Sounds like you kind of got screwed in the deal.

What makes you say that? I still get the installation service, I just didn't know that $50 of the $140 price listed for the product was actually for installation.

Yea thats the way Best Buy works usually. You could always go back and try to get the $50 refunded to you, it's a pretty straight forward install and the radio on those cars come out very easily.

Essentially, you were charged for something you weren't even told about. Had you not paid attention to the receipt, you would have not noticed that you had been charged for the installation.

Essentially, you were charged for something you weren't even told about. Had you not paid attention to the receipt, you would have not noticed that you had been charged for the installation.

That's exactly right. I couldn't believe that installation being included wasn't mentioned anywhere. The price on the shelf and the advertised price online said $130, with no mention that $50 of that was actually for installation and not the product itself. Like I said, had I not looked at the receipt, I'd have had no idea.

I'm actually glad it comes with installation because the adapter was a gift and not for my own car, so I wouldn't feel comfortable tearing someone else's dash apart.