URGENT:Suspension Work Capable on Own?

Rick

I lost control the other day and ended up spinning out and doing a 360. Strut was torn from its mount and the trailing arm was twisted. Looking at roughly $750 in repairs through a local shop.

Me and my dad did the front struts, cv axles but is the trailing arm something we could manage?

Looks like my car is bound to have a whole new suspension system virtually..has new front bushings, struts, axles, soon to be rear struts and trailing arms..

post-6351-143689094162_thumb.jpg

provided the lateral links are not all torn up it would be a pretty easy affair.. but I'd wager that they are.

Figure new Strut/mount ~$70

new trailing arm ~$20

new lateral links from dealer ~$80 each

Maybe around $250ish in parts. Only downside is you will need to either drop the fuel tank or the rear subframe to get the top bolts for the lateral links out. and use caution when working around a loaded leafspring. outside of that it won't be too bad, no reason why you could not get out of it for $300 or less.

do the trailing arms hajust have to be replaced or are the mounts f'ed up

They are warped heavily, looks as if it were aluminum foil and someone went at it. Well, one* is warped bad. The driver side is fine. I assume the mounts are okay, the shop didnt say anything of the mounts being destroyed. I will ask them to make sure the lateral links arent messed up when I go to drop off a spare rim and tire to put on the car.

Looks like I am getting the two rear struts and mounts replaced, a new right trailing arm, and new parking cable since it either snapped, or is messed up. Then after this week me and my dad are replacing both front axles, *typoed in first post, havent done them yet, new wheel hub, new bushings and something else on the front end. Looks like my suspension is basically going to be revamped lol.

Total cost..$700 with about half of the cost being labor. Then I owe another $300 in parts for the front end, so looks like im a grand in the hole for now haha.

Any damage to the body of the car or all suspension related damage?

Thankfully there shouldn't be any damage to the body, the worst body damage may be I need a new plastic piece that punches in on the outside of the wheel well, the molding piece got pushed off, don't know if its salvageable, but thankfully the strut plowed the plastic piece off and not the quarter panel.

Car is planned to be fixed by tomorrow, and yeah it should be all suspension related damage. I would post a few pics I took with my dads t2i, but for some reason only one of them saved. The trailing arm literally was warped 90 degrees as if someone held one end and twisted the other side 90 degrees, it was crazy to see. The mechanic said its far from uncommon, or at least for the cars he works on.

get some GOOD pics of the rear suspension. mounts and links and such.

no reason to buy new links....just get some that aren't bent from a JY. Also get new trailing arms (the square tube ones from that one place)

I tried, but camera faulted for some reason, or I did something wrong, not sure which of the two. Ill see if it will be on the stand when we pick it up tomorrow and I will take some pics, otherwise ill take some from under the car.

The trailing arm was replaced with the square ones. i only had the right trailing arm replaced, I dont think that should be an issue if the left is still stock, atleast the mechanic said he didnt see a need to replace the other.

Ill post back with pictures asap, im really hoping my amps and sub didnt get damaged from the torque either!