deuce

ok so here we go

I have a 1990 tgp

1. I am overboosting horribly I have tracked it down to the wastegate acuator but I was wondering what is more efficient the factory wastegate or a blow off valve

2. what is the best ways to get more performance out of it

3. I have the typical hard pedal I do not hear a pump coming on at all and the abs and brake light stay on all the time

4. my HUD and my speedo are reading differently and the are both wrong

5. I need hood louvers mine are all messed up

this is a pretty decent little car any help would be much appreciated I didn't get much sleep last night trying to research these problems so any help would be just wonderful

1.http://www.ebay.com/itm/T25-T28-GT28-Turbo-Internal-Wastegate-Actuator-Nissan-/160594790737?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2564320951

This should serve as a good (adjustable replacement) Wastegates are a must have for protecting your turbo.

2. Do some searching on this and TGPForums.com for performance Ideas.

3. If your Abs fuse in the dash and or the one under the hood (Drivers Side) is blown and keeps blowing best bet is that the Pm3 is dead or dieing. Best bet is to start looking in a junkyard for one of a related w body. or GMparts direct has them but are kinda high priced for people on a budget. There are threads about the PM3 you should search and find more what you are looking for. Or do what I do get use to the hard pedal.

4. as far as the cluster try to source out a 95 GP cluster to replace the TGP there again lots of threads on it for details. The hud I haven't personally had issues with mine are correct and are tested against police speed traps every once in a while. So double check with that or a GPS.

5. Good luck they are getting somewhat hard to find so hold on to yours and see about trying to repair them. keep n I on EBAY some times they pop up under jeep hood louvers (IDK why)

Lastly Post some pics I'm sure everyone else would like to see What yours looks like.

Your pump motor should run every 3-5 presses of the brake pedal. If it isn't running at all, check ALL the fuses in the brake fusebox by your battery and the ABS fuses in the glovebox fusebox. Still nothing? Check the pump relay that is mounted to the driver's side of the PMIII, it is toward the bottom and just clipped to the side.

If everything checks out good, you have a bad pump motor and will have to start looking for a new PMIII assembly. You can find them used in junkyards on occasion, but there's no way of knowing their condition without testing them yourself... or you can find new ones for sale on ebay and a few other sources (search for PMIII on here and you will find LOTS of info and a few places to find them). However they are getting pretty hard to find and can get expensive quick. Good luck with your project, I sure do miss my old TGP!

4. as far as the cluster try to source out a 95 GP cluster to replace the TGP there again lots of threads on it for details. The hud I haven't personally had issues with mine are correct and are tested against police speed traps every once in a while. So double check with that or a GPS.

A 95 cluster is not even close and will not work. If you feel the need to have accurate gauges, you can send the cluster to an electronics shop, or put in a 91-93 Grand Prix sport cluster. It looks the same, but you will lose your boost gauge. Usually the HUD is correct, however you have to have the correct size tires on your car for it to read correctly... The correct factory tire size for these is 245/50-16.

Edited by Addicted To Boost

ok so here we go

I have a 1990 tgp

1. I am overboosting horribly I have tracked it down to the wastegate acuator but I was wondering what is more efficient the factory wastegate or a blow off valve

-the operation in the TGP's $8F code is illustrated while datalogging and viewing the WG actuator graph. useful info can be viewed along with boost, map in volts and kPa or vacuum your choice of any 1 or all. set limits and stuff and tune the tables while you are in there. blow off valves are a good addition for turbo surge protection. the best are DSM gen 1 BOV's.

2. what is the best ways to get more performance out of it

-new vacuum spider.

3. I have the typical hard pedal I do not hear a pump coming on at all and the abs and brake light stay on all the time

-install new key wire and properly ground the unit.

4. my HUD and my speedo are reading differently and the are both wrong

you need to tune your car with a atmel chip in your memcal

5. I need hood louvers mine are all messed up

this is a pretty decent little car any help would be much appreciated I didn't get much sleep last night trying to research these problems so any help would be just wonderful

Good luck man. I hope this helps.

that's a GM part I don't have the number for right now. just the plastic lines that come out of the throttle body that all come together in a box if you call up a dealership parts department they should be able to look it up for you. ask for a vacuum harness.

Edited by Garrett Powered

Your "cheap" options are- A. try to get a used PMIII from a junkyard (or post a wanted ad on here)

OR

B. Swap the whole brake system over to vacuum brakes... very time consuming though. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

a bov isn't going to help your overboosting, but a boost controller will. you can get manual ones cheap

are you sure the hud is wrong? i think most people have problems with the cluster; i know mine is pretty messed up, but the hud is correct

louvers come up for sale every now and then

the worst overboost situation I ever had was when the coupler to the charge pipe and TB got a big leak in it. I don't have a MBC but it was fixed after that.

• 4 weeks later...

Put the rear of the car on jackstands, spin each wheel and step on the brakes? If your parking brake doesn't work though, there's a 95% chance that your rear calipers are seized and not working.

It would make the car not want to stop well and make your front brakes work overtime. Think about it... even if your ABS was working, only your front brakes are working. It's not going to stop well.

ya I completely understand that I was just hoping that maybe the calipers not working may be the reason why my pedal is so darn hard to push

Quite possibly. If the PMIII is working properly, that's the next step that I would take.