For sale to suckers: vert 1/4 window outer sweeps

MemphisMan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1991-1995-Oldsmobile-Cutlass-Convertible-1-4-window-/270803967516?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f0d2c9e1c

This guy is asking $300 for a pair of sweeps that aren't even NOS or even stock. He says they come from GM parts. Hmmm, I wonder if he means from the '93-'02 Firebird/Camaro door sweeps.

At least he throws in the 8 pop rivets needed for the install :lol:

Look at the last picture in the auction. I see a HUGE gap between the rubber and where the 1/4 window meets the small triangle stationary glass.

I tried putting some of my rear window sweeps on ebay. I only sold two pairs for way less than that price.

Next time I replace mine, I won't be using 15 year old rubber. Even the ones I'm using have developed a small crack on the driver one. I will definetly get some from a Camaro/Firebird.

Most of them I've seen have been off of the 93-02 f-body coupes. Don't know if the vert sweeps are different from the coupes.

I asked him for clarification just to see his response.... here was his response :lol: at the part I put in bold

Sorry to have confused you. These are GM weathersrips that I have made to fit the Cutlass. I had an NOS pair of the original Cutlass ones but they sold last spring for $500.00 The price may seem a little high but I have to buy them and cut them, I do not make a lot of money on these.

Everett

I gave up looking for these soon after we got our car a few years ago. Its a 91. Can anyone clarify to me which stock GM rear 1/4 window trim/sweeps I can buy New to trim and fit my self? Memphis Man. Is that e-bay item something you bought for your car? It needed it? My car was garaged and used rarely but I have 60K miles on it. Have you passed 5K yet? I havent gone into that area of my car but pop riveting something doesnt sound ideal.

Thanks All for some help

Ben

Mine are still mint, but it's only a matter of time before they start cracking. The stock sweeps are not good quality from what I've seen on other verts, so I'm going to take mine off and put them in storage while they're still mint. I didn't buy the auction item yet, but am going to tomorrow. I really don't like the idea of drilling out the rivets on my car, but I'm willing to do it in order to save the OEM strips from any potential damage.

...and I turned over 12k this weekend. Hey, I said I was gonna drive it! :)

GP1138

I donated a measley 10$ to this site as I have found this place, useful, positive, and drama free!! Thanks. I see you are a Moderator! Will I get my avatar upgraded to Supporter?

I only peruse here weekly.Memphis, I cant believe you have 12k On it!! Drive it! Thats awesome.

I still need a tried and trued answer to the rear 1/4 sweeps.

Which ones from GM are the easiest to install ?? I like My toys Stock! Drilling and stuff makes me cringe!

I gave up looking for these soon after we got our car a few years ago. Its a 91. Can anyone clarify to me which stock GM rear 1/4 window trim/sweeps I can buy New to trim and fit my self? Memphis Man. Is that e-bay item something you bought for your car? It needed it? My car was garaged and used rarely but I have 60K miles on it. Have you passed 5K yet? I havent gone into that area of my car but pop riveting something doesnt sound ideal.

Thanks All for some help

Ben

I could be wrong but IIRC the factory ones are pop riveted in in the first place.

I'll change up your status for community supporter.

I bought a set of F body sweeps at GMpartsdirect.com. Mine are still in great shape, but know they will not last forever.

Glad to see Memphisman is driving and enjoying his. I bought mine 2 years ago with 41k on it and brought it from kentucky to Canada and it was in fabulous shape...super clean underneath. I decided to drive it and enjoy it for 3 seasons per year. I treat it like it's any other car with that kind of mileage and do all the maintanence anyone would do with a low mileage car they plan to drive regularly. I did the alternator, timing belt and AC compressor and put on a new top. It has 58k miles on it and I drive it everywhere. It gets lots of attention and still looks mint. These cars will never big "big-buck" as they age, so why not enjoy every mile as MemphisMan says. Mine will be making the trip from Canada to Florida in a month and now I can enjoy it 4 seasons per year. I say drive them and enjoy them !

• 4 weeks later...

I just replaced mine this past weekend with a pair that I got off eBay for $10. I was surprised no one else bid on them. They are not original but were cut to fit. They are a little taller than the original but look just as good to me. I went slow drilling out the rivets as it made me nervous and actually hit the glass one time but it did not do any damage, lucky I guess. Odd thing about the purchase, I won them about 1 hour before my engine decided to come apart. The trickiest part to me was taking off the trim pieces and removing all the "goo" and tape without causing damage. Here's a link to the add in case someone wants to contact him to see if he has or will have more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150669414694

Wow for 10 dollars that is a deal! Those were originally from a F-body car.

Drilling out the rivets is the hardest part to replace these. After that it's pretty easy. I take some Vaseline and wipe it on those sweeps. Helps it prevent from cracking in the future.

hi guys,

my 94 is in need of new seals as well. I was reading on here and went to the parts department at the dealership were i work to check on prices. My cost is $55.00 for the door seals on what he told me fit 95-02 Camero. My question is can you get both sides out of one Camero moulding or do you have to buy two.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if you could just use some small screws and nuts to hold on your new sweeps? Because if you are constantly changing them, I would rather not keep drilling my rivets out and re-riviting the new ones on.