PLEASE, Help for 2001 Intrigue

Greazzer

I have a 2001 Olds Intrigue. Looks like a bunch of stuff just went wrong at once. It has 215K miles on it. Is there anyone out there that has dropped the sub-frame? Are there any references or info out there on how to do this. I need to replace the water pump, valve cover gaskets, serp belt, and cross-over gaskets. I think it will be easier to drop everthing and work on it while I can easily access everything. I have access to a car lift and full auto shop, although I am not a mechanic by trade, but I have been working on cars for years. Any one, please any information. Time is a killer for me, so I would rather do things faster even if it involves something as exotic as dropping drivetrain. Thanks in advance.

Very few people here like to help people who aren't going to stay on the forum.

Dude, get your head out of your ass.

OP, what are the details on your Intrigue?

Very few people here like to help people who aren't going to stay on the forum.

That's the most asinine thing I've heard. This forum has a great community and are extremely helpful.

Dude, get your head out of your ass.

:thumbsup:

Since you want to do a lot of work to your engine at one time. Dropping the whole motor out of the car would be smart.

Here take a look at this thread. Lots of good info!

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/44387-Dropping-the-subframe

Bite me. I distinctly remember a thread years ago where people were bitching about people only coming here with problems and making no attempt to contribute to the community. I never said the community wasn't helpful.

Well I dont think your helping too much ^^^ I will contribute to the thread... It sounds like you have a 3.8... And most of that stuff is easy to do without dropping the cradle... Mainly because you dont have to deal with draining the fluids... However, its pretty simple, disconnect tranny lines and coolant hoses and dog bone mounts and wiring harness and then disconnect the struts from the strut tower and she would be about ready to drop

Well, let's see, I joined your forum and a member apparently spent his time insulting me right off the top. What can I contribute ? Not sure, I can change the oil, brakes, rotors, put in plugs, changed out the CV joints, fuel sending unit, trans fluid and filter, and the window regulators plus a few odds and ends. Oh, that's right, this is simple maintenance stuff. My guess is that you would poke fun at me for only contributing simple, maintenance stuff. I hope my grammer and spelling is OK to suit your high standards. I have owned this car for about 10 years. Never needed help, so I reached out for some suggestions. I guess you're right and I should get my head out of my ass. Thanks for the help. Mark, Columbia, South Carolina.

Mark,

Just let the comment roll off of your shoulder.

I can't change my own oil, but I have an enthusiasm for these cars and try and add to the community in other ways. AL and White93z34 are good friends who have done more than their fair share of helping me eventhough they don't really live close at all.

Welcome aboard and sorry about the rude welcome.

EDIT: Also this is the section of the forum for introducing yourself, you might want to put a thread in general although the people that are already responding are ones that can very likely help you.

Well, let's see, I joined your forum and a member apparently spent his time insulting me right off the top. What can I contribute ?

PLEASE do not let one members actions portray the community as a whole. Most everyone here is friendly and willing to lend a hand. So please, stick around and enjoy!:thumbsup:

I guess my first contribution will be some pictures of the removal of the engine cradle/sub frame. I think the 2 or so hours to drop it will save me time and frustration in the long run. My hands are getting clumsey, so it's worth a shot. So, to the very, very clever "Z34 Guy" my initial contribution will be the removal of the entire drivetrain and some pictures. Disclaimer: I am not a trained mechanic, but I did do a restoration on a 1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible about 20 years ago. I still think Packard made a better car than GM, but which company is still around.:o

Disclaimer: I am not a trained mechanic,

Not many here are...:lol: Oh yeah, and I agree about the Packards!!!! Although I do have a bias because I like exploring the abandoned factory...lol

Dropping the entire subframe out should be very much like doing it on most any other FWD vehicle. Disconnect wiring, disconnect fuel lines, disconnnect AC lines, etc.... undo strut tower bolts, undo subframe bolts, undo exhaust, lift vehicle off of subframe.

Yes, with the LX5, this will give you a TON more room to do the work that you need to do.

Necessary- no.

But if you have the time, and don't want to deal with limited working space, not a bad idea.