91 Regal Stereo wiring

jonx4x4

So my stereo hasnt worked on the car since I bought it, and Im tired of listening to myself sing. Especially since I dont know the lyrics to alot of songs...:roll:

I took the bezel off, removed the stereo mounting screws, removed the stereo, and unplugged the harnesses. I tested each and every terminal in the plugs, and could not get power out of any of them. Furthermore, I stuck the positive lead on my multimeter to the center of the 12v outlet, and couldnt even get a ground from the black wires.

I couldnt find a wiring diagram on vatozone's site. Just diagrams for the gages, lights, engine wiring, etc.

Any ideas? Does the stereo harness plug in somewhere else in the dash?:confused:

The stereo in the Regal is made up of 3 different pieces. Two of them are what you can see in the middle of your dash. The third piece is located above the passenger side kickpanel. The third piece is the actual radio; the rest are only controls. The third piece is where all of the main wires from the car go. From this unit, there's a set of wires that travel over and split to the other 2 pieces.

If you're not getting power at one of the units that you can see, I would double check the connections on the third piece.

The easiest way to get to it is by removing the black kickpanel, (it's located under the glovebox). There's two 10mm bolts holding it in, it should slide out and then you can easily check the connections on both sides of the unit.

good luck. I've had nothing but trouble with mine so I opted for an aftermarket stereo.

The stereo in the Regal is made up of 3 different pieces. Two of them are what you can see in the middle of your dash. The third piece is located above the passenger side kickpanel. The third piece is the actual radio; the rest are only controls. The third piece is where all of the main wires from the car go. From this unit, there's a set of wires that travel over and split to the other 2 pieces.

If you're not getting power at one of the units that you can see, I would double check the connections on the third piece.

The easiest way to get to it is by removing the black kickpanel, (it's located under the glovebox). There's two 10mm bolts holding it in, it should slide out and then you can easily check the connections on both sides of the unit.

good luck. I've had nothing but trouble with mine so I opted for an aftermarket stereo.

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. I will check it out in the morning when Im swapping the A/C compressor and Harmonic Balancer... before it gets too hot!:mad:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/360.html

Check all your fuses. If they are all good then you may need to just run new power and ground wires to the radio.

Is there not just the one in the glove box?

Okay, I removed the cover on the under side of the dash, and I think Im looking at the stereo, but it seems to be tucked up behind the inner glove box? How do I get the inner glove box out? I removed the two screws by the fuse panel, and removed the screws holding the door on. I cant see any more, and it doesnt seem to want to come out.

Nevermind. Not sure how it comes out, but it seems to be shot. It simply wont do anything. So Im ordering the dash kit and all the other parts tomorrow. Hopefully they will be in this weekend in time to get it all installed.

Thanks for the help anyway.

sorry i didn't catch this earlier, but there should just be two bolts holding it in. those bolts are attached to a bracket that the radio is attached to. after you take those out it should slide either forward or backward and then you can take it out.

If you haven't already ordered your new stereo, I would check out what crutchfield has. I bought mine there and they included everything i needed to install it. They're a little more expensive though.

• 1 month later...