Quick rear suspension question

SmoothSteve3

Ok, this is for all you rear suspension buffs out there-

I'm planning on changing my rear struts on friday. After searching through the archives, i've decided that it sounds the easiest to place a jack directly under the end of the monoleaf in order to relieve the pressure on the actual strut.

Now heres my question. I only have 1 good jack. Is it possible for me to relieve the pressure on the monoleaf one side at a time? or does the rear of the car have to be completely off the ground with jacks under both ends of the monoleaf.

Thanks guys!

SmoothSteve

1990 Chevy Lumina 3.1

There is not a lot of pressure on the "strut".....it doesn't do much of anything except cushion the ride. The mono-leaf does all the heavy work. You should have no problems changing one side at a time.

Or..you can jack it up in the middle. 8)

Changing 1 side at a time is no problem, each side is independently sprung.

When I first did this, I used a couple jackstands and the jack that came with the car. I just jacked it up real high, put a jackstand under the spring, and lowered the car until the jackstand was pushing up on the spring enough. Then I put another jackstand under the car's body and lowered it a little more to sit on that jackstand for safety.