cutty nose on a GP ??

ROLLINGillusion

well, i got a 94 gp se coupe for 50 bucks(hit on front) it needs a fender nose thing,core support, and a hood.

anyways onto the reason for my question.....

a friend at work has a 94 cutlass coupe he wants to get rid of.(wife got rear ended on the side of the freeway)

so will the cutty front sheetmetal fit on the grand prix or not ?

if so, i get the cutty for free :D

any info would help. why it wouldnt work, tips, whatever.

please dont flame me about this idea.

(it's just using 2 otherwise ruined cars)

It'll work, but like Dustin said, lines won't match.. but that doesn't sound like it'll be a problem for you.

Either way... free Cutlass... take it!

(if it has bucket seats, I could sure use 'em :wink: )

It won't work, the countour of the front of the grand prix door and the cutlass fender are WAY off. I tried it. Then I tried putting a CS door on there too, then that didn't match the rear fender at all, wouldn't even close.

I read somewhere on some forum.. a loong long time ago, that this guy had a bad Cutlass Convertible and a Grand Prix coupe. He took (or was taking) off the Grand Prix body panels and fitting them to the Cutlass Convertible.. thus creating a Grand Prix Convertible. Never saw any pics and I think it was still a work in progress.. but it would sure be cool as hell to see.

Technically the panels will bolt up, but you will have to chop and modify the rear of the front fender and/or the front of the door. It doesn't match up. You'll also probably need to change the front headlight harness, most of it will probably work though.

I read somewhere on some forum.. a loong long time ago, that this guy had a bad Cutlass Convertible and a Grand Prix coupe. He took (or was taking) off the Grand Prix body panels and fitting them to the Cutlass Convertible.. thus creating a Grand Prix Convertible. Never saw any pics and I think it was still a work in progress.. but it would sure be cool as hell to see.

Wouldn't it be about as easy to chop the roof off and make your own fucking droptop? Doing body panels is a little easier, but still...holy shit.

Wouldn't it be about as easy to chop the roof off and make your own fucking droptop? Doing body panels is a little easier, but still...holy shit.

I guess he wanted to start off w/ something properly built, cutting the roof off of a gp isn't such a good idea due to weakening the structural integrity of the car. I believe the cutty convertibles are a built better than the hardtop cutlass'. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If I had a beater GP, I would cut it off for the hell of it or make some T-tops the right way using parts off of other cars and/or custom parts...not in the ghetto fashion of the GP w/ t-tops that was on ebay a while back :oops:

Yeah when/if you chop the top off the roof of a car, you lose A LOT of the structural integrity. If I were to do that, I'd want to start out with a properly reinforced body, like the Cut Convert.

The Cutty convertibles are reinforced in so many places I lost count.

Even with all that reinforcement (which added a LOT of additional weight), they still creak a lot!

I think if you just simply chopped the roof, the entire passenger compartment would collapse very easily.

I wanna see some pictures of this one, man. Yeah...part out that cutlass...I want rear bucket seats, have those?...or...who knows...I wanna buy stuff.

i have some i need to get rid of, they are leather too

I think if you just simply chopped the roof, the entire passenger compartment would collapse very easily.

Very true...I rolled my first GP onto a huge rock in the ditch. I think the roof was the only thing that saved me. When we got it back home, we tried to use a mining fork-lift to straighten out the roof some. We stuck the forks in the driver side window and lifted. The car came off the ground 3ft before the roof even budged! :shock: :shock: :shock:

As far as the cutty nose on a GP...you'd have to change more than the nose. And I don't think it would look good IMHO, but go for it if that's what you wanna do. :roll:

well, my plans were blown all to shit !!

the guys neighbor gave him 3 hundred for the cutlass.

guess ill have to toss gp parts on it from the junkyard.

now i'll have fun looking for good panels.

any tips on cool parts to look for while im there ?

got a good yard nearby my house, their rule is "If it fits in a toolbox, it's free"