Wrecked my 94 Vert!!

Steve

Settle for less? settle for an amount low enough to keep the car from being totaled? RareGmfan did some good work with his car, you need to read more into it and continue negotiating.... you haven't accepted the offer yet, right???

and I think that is bullshit, as the engine is still the same engine as used in 95, since when does the state need to know that you are replacing the engine anyhow??? I would think it only has to pass emissions once complete anyhow, and the engine would otherwise pass a visual check as being correct....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve

• 94 olds vert

• jeremy

• ManicMechanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think it only has to pass emissions once complete anyhow, and the engine would otherwise pass a visual check as being correct....

Not it California.

Crazy K

In Ca. they profess to say it's all about air quality but in reality it's all about $$$$$ in the state coffiers & no I have not settled.

if I keep it, your right it would be better to not have that salvage on the title....

Settle for less? settle for an amount low enough to keep the car from being totaled? RareGmfan did some good work with his car, you need to read more into it and continue negotiating.... you haven't accepted the offer yet, right???

and I think that is bullshit, as the engine is still the same engine as used in 95, since when does the state need to know that you are replacing the engine anyhow??? I would think it only has to pass emissions once complete anyhow, and the engine would otherwise pass a visual check as being correct....

Here in Tx, they punch the VIN in the computer and that says what engine it is supposed to have, wrong engine=fail.

Crazy K

In Ca. they profess to say it's all about air quality but in reality it's all about $$$$$ in the state coffiers

That's the way it is in any state with emissions testing. It's a joke.

Here in Tx, they punch the VIN in the computer and that says what engine it is supposed to have, wrong engine=fail.

So your saing if I move down there with my car its fucked because it doesnt have the original engine?

It shouldn't matter if it's the same engine, numbers matching or not.

For instance, if I replaced my 3.1 with a 3.1 versus replacing it with a 3.4.

:think:

So your saing if I move down there with my car its fucked because it doesnt have the original engine?

If you move to a county with emissions testing.

Fortunately, I take my cars to a place that doesn't care as long as it passes.

But if it's a newer engine than model year, then they don't care so's long the emissions crap is in place and it passes.

However, if I went from a 3.1 to a 3.4, the 3.4 DOHC is so rare around here that the place I take my cars to had NEVER seen one before even having been in business for 20+ years.

Edited by ManicMechanic

Stopped by the smog station & asked about the 95 3.1 to 94 3.4 & he said it would be a nightmare & wasn't sure the state would allow it. Got a quote of $5200. from GIECO should here from them on Mon.

What do you guys think about this as a poss. replacement (I know it's not a vert but I love GP's & this color)

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1996_Pontiac_Grand+Prix_132019814 I called this guy seems to be on the up & up but I've never bought a car without driving it. Also seems a little high, considering I'm going to have to ship it.

I reeeaaally don't think buying a car, especially one that old, without first looking at it and driving it is a good idea. When someone is trying to sell something, you'll find they have some very loose interpretations of words like "good" or "great" in reference to condition. That WOULD be a sweet car, but I wouldn't buy it blindly.

must be my area then, but $4500 would buy you a helluva lot more car and seems like a much better option than repairing a smashed 20 year old w-bodywith 150k on it , IHMO of course...

Ah....MI. That would explain that. Around here, $4500 would buy you....well....a slightly newer car with 150k miles in need of some work. And as I found out the hard way while shopping for my GTP, even LOW miles in no way, shape or form means a good car. It is amazing how poorly people take care of their vehicles these days. At least with his, he knows what it does and doesn't need, and again, he can get the damage fixed pretty cheap while pocketing the change.

IF it needs a lot of work besides what happened in this accident, then yes, I can understand taking the money and running. I'd still at least buy it back and part it out.

Thanks Guys Yeah I've been trying to find a GPT in that color for years, it looks real nice but (no offence) it is a back east car, I'll probably pass on it $1100 to ship. I once went & looked at a car in LA 2.5 hr drive on Craigslist same color picture showed great shape girl said it was in great shape. We went down & it was a total piece of junk pics were 10 yrs old she tried to sell to me for $500 but after all the lies I didn't touch it.

Doesn't look that bad, what are your plans for it?

Do you still have the left side tail? I know it's broken, but I've been looking for a taillight with an intact emblem I can cut out of the lens.

Well it seems that in Ca. you can have a Ins plan that only covers $5000. damage so if I'm lucky I might get $2200 to fix this. Went to body guy & he will get it all straight for $700. I have to go to the local yard this weekend & find a trunk, bumper eggcrate & mnting hardware. I have a lead on the lights & spoiler then after thats all done need to get trunk & bumper painted. So if I have anything left (which I should) I'll get the front bumper painted & yes I will have the lights after I get it all back together.

Stopped by the smog station & asked about the 95 3.1 to 94 3.4 & he said it would be a nightmare & wasn't sure the state would allow it. Got a quote of $5200. from GIECO should here from them on Mon.

What do you guys think about this as a poss. replacement (I know it's not a vert but I love GP's & this color)

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1996_Pontiac_Grand+Prix_132019814 I called this guy seems to be on the up & up but I've never bought a car without driving it. Also seems a little high, considering I'm going to have to ship it.

ask again, but tell them it is a 95 3.4 into a 95 3100. All they need to know is it's application year. so "I want to install the optional 95 3.4 engine option in place of the standard 3100 in my 95......" but then lets add more fun... howabout a newer motor? 3500 swap time!!!!!

post-5632-143689069245_thumb.jpgWell been going back & forth on this & i decided to go this route, I went I got this on Ebay, in the long run it will be cheaper than fixing & restoring, if my car was in great shape I would have diffidently fixed but it needs a timing belt, intake gasket, body work, some rust repair, paint, top & has 147000 miles on it I got this for $4300 think I did ok on the $ figured this was a better way to go & it's close. Will more than likely parting out the old one & keeping some parts for me. Edited by Steve

Looks like a really nice replacement car you got. I wish you weren't so far I'd want the interior out of your old car.

How do you like the 95 styled dash compared to the 94?

Thanks for that info, I figured their is probably a way. Boy the interior is what I'm going to part out, most of the other stuff will cross over, I am going to miss those rear buckets.