Wrecked my 94 Vert!!

Steve

Ok everybody , got rear ended today, now what should I do? It seems to be fixable (Trunk lid, bumper, tail lights & trunk panel, ) Rear quarter panels OK but is it worth the effort & $$

post-5632-143689067193_thumb.jpg

pencil.png

post-5632-143689067202_thumb.jpg

post-5632-143689067208_thumb.jpg

post-5632-143689067211_thumb.jpg

post-5632-143689067219_thumb.jpg

post-5632-143689067225_thumb.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve

• 94 olds vert

• jeremy

• ManicMechanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear about that. It does look fixable, but it may never be the same. You could probably get the parts at the junkyard on the cheap. Then have them painted.

When I got rear ended, the insurance company did pick up the tab. What about your insurance company?

Well it's going to covered by the kids Ins. & we haven't got that far yet. It was a 3 car accident, I was the last to get hit but he hit us at 45mph. Luckly nobody was hurt & it was a small car!

Ouch, looks fixable though. I have the 3rd brake light housing (looks like the only vert specific piece to get wrecked) that I'd sell if you can't find one locally.

Thanks for the offer I might take you up on it. Is the trunk lid the same as the coupe? There's a 96 coupe in the local yard that I could get the lid & bumper.

fix it!!!!

I think I have the third brake light trim in the proper color of your car... otherwise if you are very lucky, you might be able to find parts that are the correct color and all... but repainting good used parts should be acceptable. One thing not mentioned is that bumper cover if needing replaced is the rarest part, in that it has the dual outlet holes. A very careful job could be done adding the cutouts if needed....

Thanks guys & yes they will probably try & total it, going to get some estimates today. (I'm thinking $5000.)

Believe it or not the damage is confined to the trunk area, door lines are still perfect, rear quarter panels are perfect the hard part will be getting the trunk panel straight. The bumper molding only has one crack on the lower left side, she was in a jeep & most of the force went over the top of the bumper.

They will probably total it. But you should be able to buy it back from the insurance company if they do. Shouldnt cost more then a couple hundred. My Park Ave cost me like $150 to buy back and it was valued at $3000. The insurance company will just send it to scrap auction anyway.

My main concern with that trunk panel would be getting it straightened back out without compromising structural integrity. Sure you could just bend it back but what happens if you get hit again? That damaged part will bend so fast and easy, and the shock will go right on up the body. See if you can find a way to stiffen it up maybe?

Otherwise should be VERY easy to repair.

Just got back from body shop, $4200. to 4800. to fix. The one guy said he would straighten out the trunk for $250. As far as structural I don't think it will affect it after looking closer I don't think the bumper was hit at all. the buckling of the trunk caused the eggcrate to fold in. Really the trunk isn't designed to take a big hit . Could weld a support across the back just to make it stronger, that will be covered by the trunk matt.

Yep. Buy it back fix it. Put super strong springs on the back and fill the back of the car with cement... The next guy that rear ends you will be hurting!

But really buy back. Beat out Make look good.. and watch your rear view. lol

Yeah I think I'll keep her but we'll see what the ins company is willing to give me. If nothing else might keep it & part it out (that's the hard part to get by my wife, sill have my GP SE with a thrown crank bearing in the back yard!)

post-5632-143689067292_thumb.jpg

The way i see it, you can either buy it back and fix it (what I would do) or buy it back, swap the drivetrain into the white GP and then part the rest of the cutlass out. (2nd best choice to me) or you can always take the money and run. The 2nd option will probably net you the most in-pocket money, but it all depends on what you want to do and have time and space for.

I'd buy it back too, there's nothing "totaled" about this at all.

Fix it yourself aside from the mangled trunk. Put the new lid on and tie it down or something, then take it to have the trunk straightened out. The new lid will make it easier for the guy to have everything lined up correctly.

With a little bit of time and elbow grease you could probably do the trunk yourself too.

I thought about putting the motor in the GP but in Ca I don't think you can put an older motor in a newer car. now I know they are the exact same engine (no changes from 94-95) butttt this is Calif. Also wouldn't

you need to change out the wire harness.

I am not sure about CA, but here you would probably be OK using the long block, just using all your sensors and emissions stuff on the motor. I do recall though that California has some strange rules for that though.

That's not a bad idea to swap the engines, but being in Cali there might be some limitations to that. Even though the GP is a 3100 it is still OBD 1.5'snd you should be able to put in the 3.4 from the cutlass.