Wrecked my 94 Vert!!

Steve

Decisions Decisions, how much $$$$ the Ins. is going to give me will make this one.

Also aren't the ECU's different, are the plugs the same so you could use either 3.4 or 3.1 ECU.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve

• 94 olds vert

• jeremy

• ManicMechanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 93 vert just got totaled and had way les damage than yours. $3600 if they took the car, $3075 if i kept it. I am keeping it. Will only cost me a few hundred to get it back to near perfect shape. (minus a 1/2" cut in the top)

Hope this helps

I vote for fixing it. The damage doesn't look like it will affect the function of the car (suspension, alignment, wiring, brakes, etc.) or shorten it's life. Does the top still go up and down ok? Is your drivetrain in good shape? The resale value on verts like ours (I've got a '95) isn't much anyway, so fix it and enjoy it. Summer is just getting started, you could have it fixed and on the road (with the top down!) in a few weeks. Don't get rid of a car you love just because of a few hundred dollars one way or another.

Junk it and take the insurance $

What the hell is he going to buy with it? The insurance company is MAYBE going to start with a $4500 retail value for the car, and I'm being very generous. In all reality, it will be $4k if it's mint, and they will deduct for previous damage, wear and tear from there. What's he going to be left with? $3k? Maybe $3500? This day and age, that doesn't buy you much car. At least not one without high mileage, or significant problems. Now he COULD apply that money towards a down payment for a nicer car, but I'm guessing if he hasn't fixed his other GP yet, he's not in a financial position to be making car payments every month for the next X years

On the other hand, what he needs to fix the car could be had from the junkyards for $700 at the very most (that's way generous). Throw in maybe another $1000 for a shop to do everything (again, way generous), and $300 to buy back the car (probably also way too much) for a total of $2000, and pocket the rest (or spend it on the GP). He now has a decent looking, decent functioning car for $2000 plus money in his pocket, and keep in mind those figures for the cost of repairs and buy-back are probably pretty inflated.

I think Floyd pretty much laid out all his options in the best order. Only other thing I'd suggest if they total it is to fight on the amount they offer you. Yes, it's an offer, not a written in stone figure. They're literally trying to buy your car off you. You can actually haggle with them on what your car is worth to some degree, and squeeze a few bucks more out of them.

Boy if I could get $3600. I will keep it. & yes everything works & tracks fine in fact if I didn't see it I would never know it was damaged. The trunk & switch still opens & closes.

What the hell is he going to buy with it? The insurance company is MAYBE going to start with a $4500 retail value for the car, and I'm being very generous. In all reality, it will be $4k if it's mint, and they will deduct for previous damage, wear and tear from there. What's he going to be left with? $3k? Maybe $3500? This day and age, that doesn't buy you much car. At least not one without high mileage, or significant problems. Now he COULD apply that money towards a down payment for a nicer car, but I'm guessing if he hasn't fixed his other GP yet, he's not in a financial position to be making car payments every month for the next X years

On the other hand, what he needs to fix the car could be had from the junkyards for $700 at the very most (that's way generous). Throw in maybe another $1000 for a shop to do everything (again, way generous), and $300 to buy back the car (probably also way too much) for a total of $2000, and pocket the rest (or spend it on the GP). He now has a decent looking, decent functioning car for $2000 plus money in his pocket, and keep in mind those figures for the cost of repairs and buy-back are probably pretty inflated.

I think Floyd pretty much laid out all his options in the best order. Only other thing I'd suggest if they total it is to fight on the amount they offer you. Yes, it's an offer, not a written in stone figure. They're literally trying to buy your car off you. You can actually haggle with them on what your car is worth to some degree, and squeeze a few bucks more out of them.

If he got anywhere close to $3500-4500 that car is EASILY replaceable with another cutty vert that wasn't wrecked. Or could even upgrade to a 2g GTP if he wanted :shrug;

Well good luck anyway, i got my check in the mail today. Now the question is what should i buy?? I fixed the car for less than $250!!!!

oh and by the way, if you do decide to part it out i want first dibs on the tail lights if they are okay (they seem to be in the pic)

thanks

Edited by calebj06

The problem is finding one that hasn't been beaten to death. Most people don't take care of NEW cars, let alone a 15 year old one...

If you like it, and there are no other problems, I'd fix it. At least you already know what you're dealing with...

The problem is finding one that hasn't been beaten to death. Most people don't take care of NEW cars, let alone a 15 year old one......

could buy gnat's :shrug:

Another thing to check is if you get a salvage title or not. Here in NY, if you buy your car back and it's older than 8 or 10 years, you don't get a salvage title since you are essentially still keeping your car.

If he got anywhere close to $3500-4500 that car is EASILY replaceable with another cutty vert that wasn't wrecked. Or could even upgrade to a 2g GTP if he wanted :shrug;

I don't know what's going on in your neck of the woods, but >$4,500 doesn't buy you much car in many parts of the country. High mileage and/or old and/or not so great shape (will require a decent chunk of change to get up to par), etc. As far as him buying Gnat's car, he may not want to travel half way across the country to pick up a replacement vehicle.

I don't know what's going on in your neck of the woods, but >$4,500 doesn't buy you much car in many parts of the country. High mileage and/or old and/or not so great shape (will require a decent chunk of change to get up to par), etc. As far as him buying Gnat's car, he may not want to travel half way across the country to pick up a replacement vehicle.

must be my area then, but $4500 would buy you a helluva lot more car and seems like a much better option than repairing a smashed 20 year old w-bodywith 150k on it , IHMO of course...

I found all these is a quick 2 minute search

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2373000277.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2391386062.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2337668686.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/2338847739.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2311217231.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2306589390.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/2390038896.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/2390078578.html

Edited by jeremy

Well GEICO came out & basicly said it's going to be totaled $5200 to fix, I also asked him about putting the 94 3.4 into 95 GP & he said the state would give me major grief. (Love the state Hate the idots running it!!!) Waiting now for the offer & still don't know what I'll do.