Scratching my head with my stereo...

biddieboi

Hey guys i have a problem with my 1996 chevy lumina stereo. Here is the problem. My stereo works sometimes. when i am listening to music which isnt to loud but i have to turn it down before i shut the car off. Thats because when i get back into the car the factory stereo turns REALLY loud and DISTORTED and then blows out all the speakers temporary. After a few hours or a day or two the factory stereo and speakers start to vaguely work. But i have to keep it down because it will just repeat itself and it all started when i simply replaced one of my blown rear deck speakers. what do i do? what do i check? am trying to save a little money but should i go ahead and just replace everything? any advice would help. thanks in advance.

What speaker did you replace the original blown out one with?

From the sounds of it, you either put a low ohm speaker in place or the replacement speaker is bad causing low resistance causing the issue, or the most likely cause is that the wiring right at the speaker is hitting chassis ground which pisses everything off:lol:

I've found that wiring the speaker backwards can actually cause a lot of problems in some stereos...be sure to double-check your wiring.

Wont on that HU.

I can 99% guarentee he has the wiring or speaker terminals shorting out to the chassis or the other 1% says the speaker is bad.

Wont on that HU.

I can 99% guarentee he has the wiring or speaker terminals shorting out to the chassis or the other 1% says the speaker is bad.

But i didnt wire it wrong i just plugged in the connection forthe rear deck speakers. Basically just swapping one speaker out. But how to find out if the speaker terminals are shorting out on the chassis? I probably just will need to replace everything from stereo to speakers. Its the stereo that has a tape player dont know if that helps any. but the rear deck speakers dont even play at all now. and it is not touching anything but am a go an recheck.

Check all your speakers with a multimeter. They should all be around 4 Ohms. If you have one that is not around 4 Ohms then that is the speaker causing your problem.

• 1 month later...

so if it has more or less then 4 ohms of resistance then that speaker is bad? an my factory radio is just shot. so shoppin for another one.

Check all your speakers with a multimeter. They should all be around 4 Ohms. If you have one that is not around 4 Ohms then that is the speaker causing your problem.

I always thought most of the factory stuff was 8-12ohm

I always thought most of the factory stuff was 8-12ohm

I have seen 1,2,4 & 8 ohm speakers in cars. 4 is by far the most common though. The others are usually running off a factory amp.

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Running the wires backwards on a set of speakers will do nothing but cause them to run out of phase. When you have one speaker running out of phase, it will start to cancel the other one out at certain frequencies depending on how far away you are.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys i have a problem with my 1996 chevy lumina stereo. Here is the problem. My stereo works sometimes. when i am listening to music which isnt to loud but i have to turn it down before i shut the car off. Thats because when i get back into the car the factory stereo turns REALLY loud and DISTORTED and then blows out all the speakers temporary. After a few hours or a day or two the factory stereo and speakers start to vaguely work. But i have to keep it down because it will just repeat itself and it all started when i simply replaced one of my blown rear deck speakers. what do i do? what do i check? am trying to save a little money but should i go ahead and just replace everything? any advice would help. thanks in advance.

Hey there,

Is your factory head unit the type with the cassette player in the top middle, and the display to the right side of the unit? If it is, remove the unit and check the rear wiring. Check to see if any wires are comming in contact with the dark green wire. This wire is E&C data buss which also controls the speed controlled volume. Just check that out just in case.

Hope this helps,

Starflare5.

Edited by Starflare5