!996 Regal 3100 coolant steam/smell backside engine

Chip

I need some diagnosing help. My 1996 Regal just rolled 200K. Today in traffic, I saw (and smelled) burning anti-freezeI opened the hood and saw the smoke/steam coming from the back side of the engine somewhere, but more toward the drivers side. I can see moisture in the general area on that side of the block/head, but it doesn not appear fresh, more like just accumulated crud of 15 years service.

The notorious intake gasket has never been done on this motor. There has always been some slight coolant consumption since I've had it since 2005/96,000 miles.

So here is my concern. If its the intake gasket, great, I'll do it. If its a head gasket, that may result in the end of the line for this beast. What are some good diagnosing methods to determine which it is? If its a head gasket, I would see contamination in the coolant and bubbles when its running with the rad cap off right?

Ultimately, if I can rule out a head gasket, I will do the intake gasket just on the chance that it is the culprit.

I should add that its running fine, no changes in performance and it has not been overheated recently or anything like that.

Any help much appreciated.

If you have access to a pressure tester, that would be a great way to determine where the leak is coming from. If you don't then careful observation can help..there is a chance...that the heater core line may have came loose or busted since it is back there on the drivers side i believe. It sounds like its either the head gasket(which may not always be a engine killer if you caught it early enough) the LIM gasket since you said its never been done, at least since you have had the car, or the cheap and easy option..a hose or fitting back there came lose...did the car overheat or did you catch it early enough?

It has not overheated.

Are there any signs with the pressure tester of the intake or head? Or does it just verify the leak? Heater core hoses have never been replaced, most other cooling related hoses have. I will look close at that.

If I do go the intake route to eliminate the variable, any way of knowing if I need the 2nd design or 1st design gasket? It is a 10/95 build date. I have read that the permadry is the way to go?

Also, if I do the intake gasket set, are there any other items replace while in there, like this oil pump o-ring I have read about?

All the pressure tester will do is verify the leak. You could try getting some UV dye. Put it in the radiator, run it a bit, then use a black light to see the dye light up where it is leaking at.

Sorry, I don't know much about the gaskets....

if the system is full on coolant and the leak is great enough..itll show you right where the leak is...especially since its an external leak as he said since it was steaming...

I have seen a lot of them leak from the back head gasket and it drips onto the exhaust causing said steam. With the pressure tester at full system pressure and the system full on coolant..if you let it sit with pressure on it..with a warm engine..you should be able to peak around the typical spots on the motor and see seepage or even drippage of the coolant coming out..again, if the leak is great enough.

Thanks for the info so far. I am going to try to look around as best as possible maybe with a mirror if I can track one down tomorrow. I really hope its not the rear head gasket. The weather here in Pittsburgh sucked today and made it miserable to be outside diagnosing.