OEM spring options for 2nd gen W's

slick

In an effort to get a bit better ride and handling out of the century, I want to look at other springs from 2nd gen w's. I figure that our Century has about the softest springs that were ever available, which also gives it the oh so sweet grandpa car bounce.

Does anyone know, for a fact, that the grand prix, impala, intrigue, or monte springs are a better spring rate?

I have zero interest in lowering this car or dumping a lot of money into coilovers. Just looking for a bit better ride.

Can't seem to find any spring rate info. Only info I did find was that the GP's rear springs are 1" shorter than the Buick's springs.

So maybe just pick up some GR2's and call it a day?

Also, whats the difference between the two GM PN's?

12456148 1 bar kit

12498648 Will I really get 2 bars with this kit?

EDIT: Nevermind, now I remember helping Rob do the rear STB in his Intrigue. This car is not worth that work.

Anyone have a Buick F-bar for sale?

Edited by slick

I did a little research for you... 50% of the places I look say the front ones are different, but 90% of the places I looked said the rears were different

Part numbers:

2003 Century

Front: 22133006

Rear: 10415609

2003 Grand Prix

Front: 22133030

Rear: 10276574

Showing different on both, so I checked Rockauto and was able to get some specs

2003 Century

Front: RAYBESTOS Part # 5871139 Professional Grade; Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=5.714" Wire Diameter=.562" Free Height=15.75" Load height=9"

Front; 4 Dr. Sedan; Automatic Transaxle; Custom

Rear: RAYBESTOS Part # 5911124 Professional Grade; Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=5.427" Wire Diameter=.541" Free Height=15.88" Load height=10"

Rear Variable Rate; 4 Dr. Sedan; Custom

1997 Grand Prix

Front: RAYBESTOS Part # 5871139 Professional Grade; Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=5.714" Wire Diameter=.562" Free Height=15.75" Load height=9"

Front; GT

Rear: RAYBESTOS Part # 5891099 Professional Grade; Sold in Pairs -- Inside Diameter=5.43" Wire Diameter=.541" Free Height=13.31" Load height=9"

Showing fronts the same and rears different... I still dont think GM would give different part numbers to the same spring, even though the springs are interchangeable... There has to be something different to require the different part number... But I know they change numbers throughout the years of production so I entered in an 03 GP in case of that

The 2 bar kit is the front and rear bar. If you want to do that, I'll get it ordered, and you can just pay me half. I'll probably order it this weekend when I get home.

Bump. Anyone know the spring rates or where I can find the data? I tried searching on clubgp, but after hitting the search button then waiting for 10 minutes, I said screw it and left.

Gmpartsdirect.com does list a spring for buick and oldsmobile, and then another spring for pontiac. But, I want definative answers that there are differences.

• 2 weeks later...

As a quick update, I'm going to get the 2nd gen stock GP springs off of Alex. These should give a bit better ride, and a bit better stance. Ordered the 2 bar kit (Alex is going to take the rear STB).

I'll probably just go with GR2's unless anyone else has a recommendation. Remember, this is a DD, non sporting around. Just looking for a bit better ride.

I'll do ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar end links at the same time. I'm assuming for 2nd gens it is the same as the first, Moog or better?

Moog seems to have gone to hell since they got bought out recently. I am not impressed with their offerings lately.

GR2s should be a good OEM replacement strut. Balljoints are a bit different IIRC they are more of a traditional setup vs the first gens. Swaybar endlinks... If you are getting the GMPP kit it comes with new bushings and endlinks, and those again are more traditional then first gens.

Edit: honestly to do struts there is no need to pop the balljoints, I'd check em to see how tight they are, if they have no play I'd run em till they need it, no use spending money on stuff thats already good.

ah. well in that case... When I did endlinks on the bonneville I just picked up a generic energy suspension swaybar bushing kit advance sold for like $10 works great.

Yep, just bought the STB kit. Not doing the sway bars.

Yeah... I'll just craw under there and take a look around before I go and order stuff. The car has low miles (I think it's sitting at 47k now), but most everything is original.

If it makes you feel any better Ewing's 256,000 mile regal is still rocking OEM balljoints that just passed PA safety inspection.

Ball joints and tie rod ends are still in good shape. End links are still in good shape, and I probably have 1 of 10 oem original not broken sway bars on a 2nd gen.

Surprisingly enough, this car has a rear sway bar. Couldn't believe it.

On another note, IIRC, isn't there a mount kit for the buick f-bar stb?

the mount kit as far as I know consists of laying the bar across the strut tower and drilling 4 holes where the bar lies then pushing the threaded inserts through the holes and putting the locking clips over them so they don't fall out.

And IIRC the regals and centurys had different grilles, Mike.

the mount kit as far as I know consists of laying the bar across the strut tower and drilling 4 holes where the bar lies then pushing the threaded inserts through the holes and putting the locking clips over them so they don't fall out.

And IIRC the regals and centurys had different grilles, Mike.

Ordered these:

http://www.easyperformance.com/STB_Brackets/STB_Desc.html

STB brackets arrived today, but I'm not home to check them out. Should just look like brackets.

BGA, STB kit is supposed to get to my house on Friday. If it actually arrives, we can meet up this weekend so you can get the rear stb and $20, and I can get the springs from you. I will, hopefully, be driving past Milan on 23 sometime this weekend (probably either later Saturday or most likely on Sunday).

Sweet, Ill be in Maumee all Friday evening watching the HS play if you wanna meet up after that or wait till you cruise up on Sat... If you wanna leave a bit earlier, you can swing by and check out the house and hang with whoever shows up for the mini meet