T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Hello all,

Well I've. Tried to figure out what the issue is with my dad's lumina. I've done a search and I don't think I'm looking for the right issue. What issue is that when w put it in reverse the car dies. We can drive it for about 30 min and then it Will die in drive. We replace the pvc valve, the idle air control valve, the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. Before it would up and dies it would buck violently then it would die.

We think it might be the fuel filter, I think it might be over heating(if it can do such a thing) or maybe the transmission.

only when when start the car(im presuming its the idiot lights) and when we plug in our crappy code reader, but i can go check again but im pretty sure that it isnt on when we drive around or have the engine on. altho the bucking was kinda indicator that there was something wrong lol

Well i looked up what ICM was, and what it looked like was on everything newer than 1994, but if there is one on the 1990 but ill look it tomorrow morning, if i do have it how hard is it to remove and have it tested like NAPA or another local auto store or can i test myself? Thank you all for the help your providing :)

You've already thrown plenty of parts at it already; just go to the junk yard and pick up an icm with coil packs for $15. They can be had from any 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3100 or 3400. 3100 or 3400 would be desireable because their location is easy to get at. I remove the coils and then take the icm off the plate. For some reason I find this easier. It is a 5.5 mm socket you'll need to remove the coils.

Here is how you can test it, get yourself a spare spark plug, drive the car till it dies. Then one at a time, pull the spark plug wires off the three front plugs, connect to the spare plug, ground the threads to a rust free bolt and have soemone crank the engine. If you see spark, move to the next wire and repeat. If all three have spark then move on to another idea.

3100/3400 coils and ICM are the same as 3.1, but are better because they are not heat washed. try a new ICM and see what happens.

A similar car I worked on had the same type issues... that car turned out to have the access door on the pcm missing as someone had replaced the pcm with a reman but neglected to do the job right... so any hint of moisture and the car would act like a turd. replacement PCM and corrisponding PROM chip were required due to corrosion damage...