Problems with my CD Player.

MaroonRegal

I have the Buick CD/Cassette/AM/FM deck in my car, and I like it. I know there probably aren't a lot of the regulars who have it, but I know there are some 97+ Regal folks who linger here from time to time.

I know I can buy one for around a hundred bucks on eBay, but I'd rather not do that right now. The radio works fine, and the speakers are great. I haven't tried the tape player because I don't care.

The CD Player however, is definitely not working. It will play my CDs some of the time. Other times it will do one of the following things, and give me the following error codes:

E22 - Won't read the CD, nor will it eject the CD.

E20 - Spits out CD and wont read it. Sometimes this happens between songs, sometimes during a song, but usually right when I put the CD in.

This one is new yesterday:

E23 - Same as E20, except it only seems to happen between songs.

I cannot find any info on these codes, or their repair, in my owner's manual or my Chilton's Book. If anyone knows where I can find the codes, or perhaps what's wrong with my fucking CD player, help would be much appreciated.

Had the same problem. There is a problem with the laser eye. To fix it, you gotta ship it off and have the cd player unit replaced. If you can get one for a hundred bucks off ebay, that'll more than likely be the cheaper route.

Thanks, Justin.

Yeah, I went to the Buick Dealer, they said it'd be 300 fucking dollars for them to fix it. Bastards. I've found them on eBay closing anywhere between $75 and $200. I guess I'll just have to wait until some money comes my way.

$300! Holy balls..

I guess now that I think of it.. thats about what they wanted here too... but the guy got all quiet and gave me the address of a place that would fix it for half the price.

one of my friends is selling his cd player on ebay and the reserve is set at $35-40 because he's setting up a new system in his car. it is a very nice cd player and you can't possibly beat it for the money. the deck was exposed to some water but should still be in working condition or repairable for $30-$40, either way it's cheaper than what you're paying for a stock cd player and this cd player he's selling retails at $220. it should be one heck of a deal, here's a link, check it out, he'd really appreciate it since he just posted it last night and no hits yet: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3051597947&category=39762

one of my friends is selling his cd player on ebay and the reserve is set at $35-40 because he's setting up a new system in his car. it is a very nice cd player and you can't possibly beat it for the money. the deck was exposed to some water but should still be in working condition or repairable for $30-$40, either way it's cheaper than what you're paying for a stock cd player and this cd player he's selling retails at $220. it should be one heck of a deal, here's a link, check it out, he'd really appreciate it since he just posted it last night and no hits yet: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3051597947&category=39762

Wow! nice stereo deck. If the price is still low when it's going to close, I'll probably bid on it. But I'd like to go OEM if possible. Thanks for the link, 2supreme.

would it be possible to hook up a disc changer to that car? if thats possible that would be your best bet, get one at a pawn shop for like 50 bucks, then you can keep the stock look and everything and have the CD changer as well, just hide it under the seat or in the glovebo or something

the lens could dirty get your self a CD lens cleaner and try that. I got E22 one time put that in it and it work. :)

Good point.. I forgot about that. I usually overlook the cheapest place to start!

Well, I thought you weren't supposed to use those things in slot CD players, but I tried it anyway. (What's it gonna do, break my CD player?)

After using for a total of about an hour, I've had much fewer problems. Once when I shut the car off and came back a few hours later, it spit the CD out, as it's been privvy to do. Other than that, no error codes, no problems reading CDs. Woo Hooo!!!!!

Hmmm...$100 to $300 to put in a new one, or $10 to buy a cleaner disc. Tough fucking choice.