Ceramic Pads + White Box Rotors????

runt

I have to say I've never seen one crack so this is news to me.

I've been keeping an eye on them to watch for cracks, simply because I've seen it happen.

:think:

I guess drilled & slotted are supposed to help keep them from fading?? But then this doesnt make sense...

I've overheated those brakes to the point of complete failure going down Mollhulland Canyon Highway in California; a road so badass that there's a movie about it. I was going downhill toward mailbu when I smelled the smoke and had absolutely no braking power left so I had to downbrake into 1st to take the next turn. Rotors were fine, but the pads looked like a dried up lakebed. Still not warped, still not worn unevenly, and not cracked either.

I'm confused.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• jake91

• runt

• BXX

Top Posters In This Topic

:think:

I guess drilled & slotted are supposed to help keep them from fading?? But then this doesnt make sense...

I'm confused.

Ok, let me clarify. I have seen pictures of cracked rotors on f-bodies and porsches. I have seen pictures of cracked brembo rotors, stemming out of the holes that were drilled. I have not yet seen a cracked R1 Concepts rotor.

It doesn't keep them from fading. It reduces their temperature. The drills supposedly allow them to cool better, but this that doesn't mean they won't still fade; they just won't fade as quickly as blank rotors would. The slots are more there to clean off the surface of the pads and to allow gasses that build up on the pad surface to escape.

here andrei

cutlass101.jpg

Hard to see it. Definitely use the macro feature. Seems to be stemming out of the drilled hole. Strange that its not the one closest to the edge though.

Just do a google search for "cracked drilled rotor."

I would not have expected the crack to be near the outside of the rotor, rather towards one of the drilled holes. Interesting. I'm willing to bet that rotor was faulty when it left casting and they never caught it during machining.

waiting for a call back from r1 now

I just messaged them on AIM to ask them a few questions. They appeared to know what they were talking about and were very polite and prompt. I'm sure they'll replace those rotors without question.

Not until I see a picture. I have to say I've never seen one crack so this is news to me. I know Jake's car is heavy but a cracked rotor is pushing it. Maybe they drilled the rotor too close to the edge? I doubt these guys know a whole lot about making performance rotors, so that's definitely a possibility. I've seen rotors cracked on factory Porsche brakes and on aftermarket F-body brakes as well due to the manufacturer drilling too close to the edge. If I were to buy rotors again I'd honestly buy slotted and not drilled. Nonetheless, I'm still curious.

That was for Jake, not you

I'll second the importance of pads over rotors. I can't say that rotors make a huge difference for a daily driver.

Oh, and did I mention that even R1 blanks are zinc coated? Not sure if retail white box rotors are...

uh... they CAN zinc coat them, but they don't coat the blanks normally. I bought a set of zinc coated blanks for the 95 CS, and they are intended to fight cleveland rust...

uh... they CAN zinc coat them, but they don't coat the blanks normally. I bought a set of zinc coated blanks for the 95 CS, and they are intended to fight cleveland rust...

I've never gotten a set of R1 blanks that weren't zinc coated...

I just replaced my front brakes last weekend.

I got a set of wagner rotors with a lifetime warranty from advance auto for $80 after tax. They had to order them since the one I go to doesn't stock them, but they were there the next day. I don't think they're zinc coated or anything though.

I'm not very fond of ceramic pads personally, I had a bad experience. This time I used performance friction's carbon metallic pads. I was gonna try the new heavier duty duralast gold's at AZ, but I got my set 22 bucks and my brother swears by them. When these go I'll experiment with the new duralast gold's with the lifetime warranty.

This is just something to consider if you're looking for something more practical though.

If you're looking for something with better performance you should also consider powerslot slotted rotors. I would've gone with them but the lifetime warranty and low price on what i got changed my mind.

I have Raybestos rotors that were cheap as hell and Hawk HPS pads. Maybe I dont suck at driving or maybe the pads are good, but I've never had fade on this setup. I'm a fan of the crappy rotors and good pads combo. I have never had ceramic pads though.

I have Raybestos rotors that were cheap as hell and Hawk HPS pads. Maybe I dont suck at driving or maybe the pads are good, but I've never had fade on this setup. I'm a fan of the crappy rotors and good pads combo. I have never had ceramic pads though.

Aside from the increased braking performance, the biggest selling point for me was the non-existent brake dust with ceramics as opposed to semi-metallics. I hate having to clean wheels because of brake dust.

My old metallic pads left little rust spots all down my fenders and doors in front. I had to buff them out every few months. So far I haven't had that issue with my new ceramic pads. They were just a cheap Rock Auto set (I think a closeout at $15) and cheap rotors. They stop very very well.

Semi-Metallics will always out stop Ceramics.. Well known fact so long as its apples to apples comparison with same quality pads.

Obviously a Bendix Ceramic is gonna outperform a Valucraft Semi-Metallic:lol: