Why does my trans whine?

alec_b

Hey long time no post but here goes-

So ever since I've had the car the trans will make a whining noise whenever it's in a driven gear, being reverse or any forward gear. It goes away in park and neutral. All I know is that these things commonly make noise when the filter gets clogged, then they whine like a bitch, but I ran trans-tune for 1k miles and changed the fluid and filter with 6.5 quarts of plain old dex III. Noise is still the same, and it is RPM dependent. It hasn't gotten any louder or quieter, before or after the fluid change. It's always the same. Warm or cold, but slightly more noticeable when warm.

It shifts amazingly, shows NO sign of slippage, and the fluid is full and as clean as the day I put the new fluid in. It's just really annoying sitting at a light or at the drive through and having to put it in neutral cause of the annoying whine. Any ideas from others?

the pump has probably worn out in the transmission...

Bad news = you're gonna need a rebuild to fix it.

Good news = it will probably run like this for years before it gets worse. When it does finally get worse, you will get delayed engagements where the car won't move when cold and first started.

to be fair, let me ask a different question: have you ever serviced the transmission? it could be due to an overwhelming need of service.:think:

Thanks Crazy -

I forgot to mention that it DOES take a second to start going when it's cold if I just start, hit drive, and go. It almost feels like it's trying to start in 3rd gear, I really have to hit the gas to make it go. Obviously I learned that quickly, and now I let it warm up for 10 seconds or so and all is fine.

So worn pump it is. Oh well as long as it doesn't go out any time soon.

• 11 months later...

I know how people feel about additives. But, there is one that worked for me and it proved itself after trials that it alone helps. It is "GM Transmission Sealer and Conditioner". The last bottle I purchased off of eBay was $30. I tried something else once and it did not help. What is solved for me was the problem of long engagements for Reverse when cold. Good luck.